Using Fondant In Ok

Business By uphmary Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm by erinalicia

uphmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uphmary Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 8

icon_sad.gif My husband and I own a Bakery in Oklahoma and we are wanting to start using fondant more. I love it I can make it with marhmallow or purchase Satin Ice which is also very tasty. Well to get to my question I had another bakery who uses buttercream only tell us that fondant does not lend itself to the Oklahoma area and they will never use it. Is this the craziest thing I have ever heard or are they right?? I have never to date had one complaint with fondant. Has any one else heard this??

7 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 8

I say try it and see! Maybe the other bakery tried it and either people didn't like they way it looked (because they didn't put it on smoothly) or they didn't like the flavor (because they bought Wilton). Or maybe they just don't want another bakery to out-do them, or offer something they don't.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 8

Get a GOOD fondant and let them taste it. I make a semi-homemade chocolate fondant. I can't tell you how many come here saying they don't like fondant, then order it icon_smile.gif (like 99.9% of them)

Jen icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 8

You can certainly offer it, if no one likes it - that's fine. But I'm guessing that it's just not a trend there yet if no one is selling it. I bet it would be popular if you started selling fondant cakes.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 8

i'm in oklahoma.....i use it for some stuff...i don't cover cakes with it...but you could, that's crazy...i did see that quote on a very popular bakery's website here in tulsa.

where are you? i'm in muskogee.

the customers here ask for it, so it's not that.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 8

I lived in Oklahoma until a few years ago and most of my wedding cakes were fondant. It's one of the reasons that I made up my own recipe, I was too tight to buy it.

It does help to give samples of the fondant to let customers know that what they might have heard about the taste of fondant isn't necessarily true.

Offer what you enjoy doing and the word will get out that you have something special to offer.

Michele

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 8

i made a heapload of fondant ghost toppers and not a single bad thing happened

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 8

I lived in Tulsa until about 2 years ago. I'm not exactly sure what they mean by "it doesn't lend itself to the Oklahoma area." Are they talking about customers not being interested in it or that it is more difficult to use?

Sounds to me like they just don't want to use it. On the more humid days you'll have issues with it, sure, but it's that way anywhere you have a lot of humidity. I hate it when people make broad general statements about something they have no clue about.

If you want to use fondant, then use it. Set yourself apart from the other bakeries. My BIL's grooms cake came from a very popular bakery in Tulsa and I didn't think it was all that great and that was before I started decorating. They icing that was suppose to look gray or silver was green, and the cake was so dry....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%