Putting Together This Cake Now; Does It Need Dowels?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 12:15am by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 9

I am making an 8inch round harvest barrel cake. The cake is pumpkin flavored wasc filled with pumpkin buttercream and iced with cinnamon buttercream. I have made wood "panels" out of chocolate fondant to go around the edges. My question regards the top of the cake. There will be a turkey (made from modeling chocolate), fondant leaves, pumpkins, and acorns. Do I need to sit these things on a cake board and put dowels underneath? Or will the cake support these things okay? TIA

8 replies
jammjenks Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 9

Everyone is different, but I'd support it for my own sanity. If you don't think it will be too heavy, maybe you wouldn't need it. I'd do it though.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 9

I would use the cake board and dowels. It's too risky to leave the weight of a chocolate turkey on an unsupported base.

KHalstead Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 9

definitely support it

my son made this barrel cake and you can see in the photo it's starting to lean........the whole thing EXPLODED due to the weight of the fondant apples on top lol
LL

CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 9

I'm a little obsessive when it comes to dowels so I would.
I never used to put any support under cake toppers until I read a thread about heavy toppers with no support and I was like "duh, makes sense"
So now I do a few bubble straws and call it a day.
I used a supports under my motorcycle dude on this cake, just in case.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1474972

confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks guys for your quick replies! That is what I was thinking too. I just have to remember to explain to the person who is taking the cake that she will have to remove all of the top stuff in order to cut the cake! It doesn't seem like all of the toppers weigh that much but all together it weights over a pound. I just don't want the filling squishing out and the fondant wood panels falling over. What a nightmare!

MrsNancyB1 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

I would use the cake board and dowels. It's too risky to leave the weight of a chocolate turkey on an unsupported base.

Exactly this. Modeling chocolate is much heavier than fondant. You could risk the decorations going right through the cake under all the weight.

KHalstead Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 9

I would just use a cake board slightly smaller than the top of the cake and maybe put a sheet of wax paper over the top of the cake, then the cake board with all the toppers........then when it's time to cut and serve they can simple lift the top off of the cake (even if it means slightly peeling back one of the fondant slats) and then peel off the wax paper and voila...perfectly iced cake waiting to be eaten.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:15am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I would just use a cake board slightly smaller than the top of the cake and maybe put a sheet of wax paper over the top of the cake, then the cake board with all the toppers........then when it's time to cut and serve they can simple lift the top off of the cake (even if it means slightly peeling back one of the fondant slats) and then peel off the wax paper and voila...perfectly iced cake waiting to be eaten.

That's exactly what I did! Hopefully they can just pull up the cake board with all of the deocrations on it and not peel off all the icing. I covered the cake board in press n seal so hopefully it won't stick. The cake turned out super cute and now I know it won't collapse!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%