Covering An 'upright' Cake In Fondant

Decorating By TheresaJane Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 5:30pm by DeeDelightful

TheresaJane Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 4

I've got a bit of a rookie question...I'm making a cake which is going to be rectangular in shape, but stood on it's end, and I'm not sure how best to approach covering it in fondant.

Would the best way be to cover the two biggest surface areas and the top using one piece of fondant and the two seperate pieces for the two ends, or is there a way of covering it all in one go? (therefore not leaving any join marks)

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 4

What is it going to be? Book, bag, wall (sorry could'nt think of anything
I might be able to help if I knew what you where going for.
For a box or a bag I would use fondant panels so you can get nice crisp edges (dried fondant cut to the exact size of the cake)
For a book I would cover 3 sides with one piece of fondant and the do the "pages' with a strip of white .

TheresaJane Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 4

Hi CakeMommy,

It's going to be a Wii console (well that's the theory, anyway, lol! ). So having clean edges may work quite well. Would that involve cutting the fondant to size before letting it dry, then attaching it afterwards? What would you use to hold the icing onto the cake, as I assume buttercream wouldn't be enough to keep the big panels vertical?

thanks again for your help!

DeeDelightful Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 4 you think you could cover it lying flat on one side, then let that settle, dry, etc. then cover the other side? I don't really know. for such a smooth finish, maybe crumbcoat it in ganache (preferably white chocolate). that will give a sturdier finish to apply the fondant to. just paint it with some water when you get ready to fondant the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%