7 Year Old Is A Cake Critic

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 11:28pm by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 15

We went to a bridal shower this weekend that I made the cake for. While we were eating the cake, my 7-year old daughter says 'Mommy, there are air pockets in the fondant". (There were tons of problems in the making of this particular cake.) As we were discussing this, the other guests heard and were giving lovely compliments about the design and flavor of the cake, saying it was perfect and they didn't see any problems. One lady even said that I should consider entering a cake competition. Had I not been so polite, I would have fallen off my chair laughing hysterically! Instead I thanked her for her compliments and said that I think I will never be at the level of entering a competition. (I'll leave that up to all of you pros here!!) In the end, my daughter said, "yes mommy, go in a cake competition, but make sure there aren't any air pockets in the fondant like on this cake." (Can you tell she watches a lot of cake shows with me?) She's just so cute and I love her so much!

Thanks for letting me share!

14 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 15

LOL! That is so cute! It looks like you are raising a soon to be caker!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 15

That's really cute. I have a 5 yr old soon to be 6 and see tells me if my cakes look pretty or they need more "something".

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 15

Hahahaha. That's too freaking cute. LOL

browniebatterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
browniebatterer Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 15

Completely love that! They've been listening to what their mommy talks about!

pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 15

this is too funny, reminds me of my soon to be 3 year old, she was playing at the babysitter's the other day with plastic containers of different sizes, she stacked them up like a wedding cake and told her "kids" (imaginary) "don't put your fingers in that icing, i have to go potty", she proceeds to go potty and comes back to "inspect" the cake and tells her "kids" thank you for not touching mommy's cake. the babysitter called me in tears from laughing so hard - gotta love them!!!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 15

Kids do say the craziest things. My 5yr old tells my 12 yr old "Your a liar teller"! LOL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 15

you know my 5 yr. old DD sketches cakes in her freetime! lol Seriously.........she just sketched a 3 tiered cake the other night (trying to design her own bday cake) with tiger stripes over the whole thing.

I think she's settled on a 3 tiered "rainbow/tie dyed cake"...she told me to save myself time and cover it in white fondant and just airbrush it the different colors LOL i was like "how do you know about that"....she said " come on, you know I watch you when you make cakes"

(my kids aren't allowed in the kitchen, she informs me that she sits under the dining room table to watch, so i don't "notice" her lol)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 15

ok, here is proof. This is my 5 yr. old DD sitting on the couch with a notebook drawing and when I say

me; Whatcha drawin?
her; Cakes
me: Let me see
her: They're not really 3-D but I'm not that good!
me: Are you kidding?? They're fabulous!!!
LL

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 15

Those cake sketches are great!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

Can you tell she watches a lot of cake shows with me?

My 7 year old son told me once "Mommy, you're the best cake maker in the world. You should be on Food Network!"

I felt like Bronwen, Collette, and Sylvia rolled into one ! icon_biggrin.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:01am
post #12 of 15

oh KHalstead- that's the sweetest thing ever. LOL And her designs are great!!!

Julee- that's so sweet.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:36am
post #13 of 15

Way to cute!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

manderson19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderson19 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 15

My three boys are constant critics of what I'm doing! My 7 and 10 year olds were so excited to help me with their cousin's cake. I was making balls to go around the bottom of the cake and they both wanted to help. They were so excited to be making camoflauge balls! (and told everyone lol)

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupandbon

this is too funny, reminds me of my soon to be 3 year old, she was playing at the babysitter's the other day with plastic containers of different sizes, she stacked them up like a wedding cake and told her "kids" (imaginary) "don't put your fingers in that icing, i have to go potty", she proceeds to go potty and comes back to "inspect" the cake and tells her "kids" thank you for not touching mommy's cake. the babysitter called me in tears from laughing so hard - gotta love them!!!

icon_lol.gif

Well, at least she's learned something about caking!!

KHalstead - your daughter definitely has artistic talent. I can't draw cake that well!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%