Not Enough Hours In A Day!!! Vent!!!

Lounge By sweettooth88 Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 10:40pm by cabecakes

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 11

Sorry ladies but I must vent. I am a full time student and I also have a full time job, together I spend over 75 hrs a week working. I am 21 and my parents still pay my medical, car insurance, and cell phone (due to their divorce they must until i complete my education). Well my dad calls yesterday and says well since you are now interested in cake decorating (which i am just starting and have so much to learn) I figured you can take on paying your car insurance!!!

I really shouldnt be startled by this but it is not in my monthly budget and I do not have an extra $150 laying around every month. He thinks I can just sell 3 cakes a month and make the money. Which I kindly informed him would be against the law, I just do it for fun. Even if I could I do not think I could squeeze in 3 cakes worthy of selling and have time for everything else.

Anyway, I am horribly upset with him because he started yelling at me about being responsible...yada yada yada. Excuse me but I pay for my education and way of life besides the 3 bills fore mentioned. Thanks for listening!!

10 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 11

Sounds like he's just looking forward to not paying your bills, that's understandable. My kids are only 11 and 14 and I'm looking forward to not paying their bills someday! icon_lol.gif

Just talk to him again once you calm down, tell him again that you can't sell cakes because it's illegal, and maybe he'll figure it out. I know it's probably frustrating for both of you, he doesn't want to pay your bills and you probably feel indebted to him for paying them, so you're both probably touchy on the subject. I hope it works out.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 11

$150 a month for a cell phone? Yikes! That's more than my husband and I pay for two!

Okay so you're just doing the cake thing for fun. Well, we all know that cake supplies cost money and dad is probably thinking well... if she can afford to play with cakes, why can't she pay for her own cell phone. You are 21 - all grown up.

I can kind of understand his point of view. I have a son who can't seem to come up with the money to pay the student loan that HE PROMISED he would handle. Yet, he finds money to spend on fun vehicles - motorcycles, race cars, etc. Uh-huh. Right.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie59

$150 a month for a cell phone? Yikes! That's more than my husband and I pay for two!

Okay so you're just doing the cake thing for fun. Well, we all know that cake supplies cost money and dad is probably thinking well... if she can afford to play with cakes, why can't she pay for her own cell phone. You are 21 - all grown up.

I can kind of understand his point of view. I have a son who can't seem to come up with the money to pay the student loan that HE PROMISED he would handle. Yet, he finds money to spend on fun vehicles - motorcycles, race cars, etc. Uh-huh. Right.

Her car insurance, not her cell phone. I'm sure if it were the cell phone bill he was concerned with, she could cut that bill down from $150/month to less than $50. Car insurance is a whole-other monster.

To the OP: Is your father aware of what hours you put in, where you money goes, how you budget, etc.? Maybe he thinks that you're making more than you do, or that your bills aren't as much as they are. Is it possible that sitting down with him, showing him your monthly budget/bills would help with the situation?

Besides, even if you did 3 cakes a month for $50 each, you're not making $50 on each cake. You'd be making less than that because of time and materials.

Just sit down, have a mature conversation and work it out. I'm sure he just doesn't understand where you are with things.

Or, he could be a butt head (in the most endearing way) and I'm totally wrong about all of the above. icon_wink.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 11

Yes, I would also sit down and put all the info in front of him. I am sure he does not want you to cut down on hours studying to be able to pay for your car insurance. I am amazed at how hard you are working already. You probably work more hours than your dad. Good luck!

sweettooth88 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks to you all I have calmed down. I have explained to him my budgeting situation and that it is his responsibility (by law) to pay those bills while i am in college. His new wife is the main problem and since she doesnt work and my dad wont let her get a maid she thinks they can afford one if they dont pay for my car insurance. Anyway thanks to you all for listening to this crazy story!!!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 11

If I understood you right I would be upset about your dad's new wife too. So she is NOT working and does not want to clean and would prefer that you have to work even harder to pay for your car insurance so that she can get a maid? That is the most selfish idea I have heard in a long time and I hope your dad will realize it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettooth88

Thanks to you all I have calmed down. I have explained to him my budgeting situation and that it is his responsibility (by law) to pay those bills while i am in college. His new wife is the main problem and since she doesnt work and my dad wont let her get a maid she thinks they can afford one if they dont pay for my car insurance. Anyway thanks to you all for listening to this crazy story!!!

Ah ha! Now the picture is more clear. I suggest that you get the new wife a broom and dustpan for Christmas. Wrapped nicely, of course. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 11

Speaking as an ex-wife, who had an ex-husband who did as little for his children as possible.....

"Dad, are you telling me that you want me to break the law just so you can save a little money at YOUR end? Gee, maybe I should take up hooking instead of caking .... I hear you make WAY more money with a lot less work involved! Would that work out better for YOU?" icon_rolleyes.gif

I can just hear the conversation in his house. New wife is whining about how "....she's making ALL THAT MONEY with those cakes and is still soaking you to pay her bills!"

sweettooth88 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:16am
post #10 of 11

Oh you ladies make me laugh!!! Debi you are spot on...she would say something like that she is so hateful. My mom has worked full time since she met my dad and this lady just thinks he has money bags every where. Thanks for the laugh! I told him today I am doing him a favor by working full time because he could have to pay for my school and all of my expenses but i am helping him out.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 11

Ok, let me see if I have this straight. New wife wants to NOT work outside the home and NOT work inside the home. What a lazy B***H. I think maybe daddy has the wrong one pegged for "needing to pay their way". Sounds like he has a real high maintenance sponge on his hands. Oh sorry, did I say that out loud. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%