Buttercream Dam

Decorating By SweetRenaud Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 1:36am by Loucinda

SweetRenaud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetRenaud Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 8

Can someone please explain this in detail? I've read it around here a few times but am unsure about what the technique is!
This may solve my problem of my buttercream pushing out my fondant if it's what I think it is.

Thanks in advance!!

7 replies
ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 8

After you torte your cake, pipe a ring around the cake (not directly in the edge) with thick consistency BC. Let it crust for little bit, and fill the area with your filling, making sure, your filling won't extend the ring/dam. I call it ring, but it is dam icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 8

I don't even bother with a piping bag, I make the dam with buttercream that I have made stiff enough that I can roll it into a snake with my hands - and use that to make the dam with. No bulges here! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 8

Yes - it just needs to be super, super stiff.

SweetRenaud Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much!! I"ll try it tonight on a "friend" Cake...hopefully all my problems will be solved...LOL

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 8

Hahaha - it's so funny how "friends" deserve the best cakes but then end up getting the practice cakes and the "oops" cakesicon_smile.gif But then again friends understand better and just judge the cake on taste rather than looksicon_smile.gif

SweetRenaud Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:16am
post #7 of 8

well I tried it, and that's exactly what my problems was.. It worked beautifully so I'll try it again tomorrow on another cake and we'll see if we get two for two.
thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:36am
post #8 of 8

Glad it works for you! It is those little things we learn along the way - makes it all worth while!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%