How To Secure Ribbon To A Wedding Cake Nicely!

Decorating By karakidz Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 2:34am by karakidz

karakidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karakidz Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:25am
post #1 of 9

Desperaetly in need of help from the experts. How do i secure ribbon and lace to a fondant wedding cake and hide the seam and make it stick? No-one seems to be able to offer me any advise on this topic. Help urgently needed.

8 replies
Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 9:07am
post #2 of 9

I use double sided cellotape and always place a small bow to hide the join although lately I find it doesn't have as much stick as it used to.

roweeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roweeena Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:24am
post #3 of 9

I use a pin. sometimes two so it looks like little buttons. And make sure the chef knows they are pins!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:23am
post #4 of 9

i use piping gel

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 9

I line the back of the ribbon with clear contact paper and then either use frosting to stick it together or a corsage pin. I have never wanted to hide the seam, but I think a bow (like Briarview suggested) would look great!

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 9

I use the pins with little pearls on the ends (maybe those are corsage pins?) I folded the end of the ribbon over on itself to make a nice edge.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 1:30am
post #7 of 9

I've just used a dab of buttercream or RI to stick the ends of the ribbon together and it worked fine....learned to do it that way from a baker who makes many wedding/shower cakes w/ribbons - that's how she does it too.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 12:46am
post #8 of 9

I wish there was a great way to attach it so it doesn't move or slip. I use double sided tape but I still have problems getting it to stick. I think I need to lightly brush off all traces of icing sugar on the fondant first then attach the ribbon so it has better sticking powericon_smile.gif I'll keep practicing. I rarely use ri so it seems like too much work to make it just for a few dabs to stick to a ribbon...the pin idea sounds better and better all the time. Maybe bobby pins with cute crystal decos on them - pretty yet not dangerousicon_smile.gif

karakidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karakidz Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:34am
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much everyone for your help! I used the peearl top pins and they worked out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%