How Do I Make Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By Melinda3 Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 6:06am by JanH

Melinda3 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:01am
post #1 of 5

The buttercream I use on my cakes I buy,but I would like to start making it, I just don't know how to!
Can I use a hand mixer, or does it work best with a stand one?
Please any help would be awesome! Thank you!!! =)

4 replies
leah_s Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 5

Either type of mixer is fine. There are tons of recipes in the recipe section here on CC.

sweet-thing Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 5

Welcome to CC!

If you do a search for buttercream you will get lots of recipes. I think you can use a hand mixer but you will get really tired.

3GCakes Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:11am
post #4 of 5

Well...the first step of buttercream is FAT+SUGAR.

Usually, a buttercream icing is fat (butter, ideally) and sugar (powdered).

flavors, such as vanilla, can be added.

Because shortening has a higher melting temperature, many people prefer it. Hi-Ratio shortening has trans-fat, a product of hydrogenation, which can add to creaminess, but not usually flavor. Butter flavor will often be added.

Buttercream made with fat + icing (powdered) sugar are usually referred to as "crusting buttercreams"...they form a bit of a sugar shell that can be smoothed by several techniques...(Viva paper towel method, Melvira method) after several minutes of drying.

Italian buttercreams are made with whipped egg whites, butter, and vanilla. Personally, I also standardly add melted and cooled white chocolate.

Swiss buttercreams are much the same. Neither crusts, but can be smoothed with heat.

There is so much to tell.....I can't possibly tell it all...

JanH Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 6:06am
post #5 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, Melinda3. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%