How Should I Handle This? Party Planner Wants Cakes

Decorating By sheshe09 Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 1:40am by sheshe09

sheshe09 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 12

I've been in this industry about ten months now. And resently someone I know asked me to due a cake for a event she was planning. (she is a party planner) Now, someone from the event wants a cake from me and she took all the info and wants me to supply her with the cake. Now, my issue is I don't want my cake prices any higher because thats the way I've been about the beat the compention. What I want to know is do anyone else deal with party planners and how you go about pricing and protecting your business.

11 replies
Kitagrl Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 12

I worked with one for awhile and charged her full price and she usually added an extra $5 or something to the customer to pay for her picking it up and taking care of the design for the customer. Eventually though as my prices went up, she stopped calling quite so much. Which is fine, because they were generally 15-20 serving cakes and I'd much prefer larger orders!!!!

Anyway I don't mind if they upcharge a bit, in my case nobody ever knew that she did so, and I didn't lower my price for her benefit. But if you are in a small town and your people will know the price difference, then the only thing you could do is allow your party planner to have a very small cut from each order if you want to work it out. But it should not be very much.

Good luck!

indydebi Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 12

IT's no big deal if she adds a "service fee" for taking care of the cake for her client. If the client wanted 3 buckets of KFC chicken, KFC wouldn't give her a discounted price.

costumeczar Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:55am
post #4 of 12

I only work directly with the clients, not through a planner. Reputable planners don't upcharge, she's essentially trying to wholesale your cakes.
I'd tell her to sent the client to me directly.

Is she also taking credit for the cake? This situation sounds weird to me, but regardless, you should be dealing with the client, not wth her.

CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 12

My cakes are priced per serving regardless of who is ordering them.
I work with a few party planners now and they get my regular price just like everyone else.

browniebatterer Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:40am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

My cakes are priced per serving regardless of who is ordering them.
I work with a few party planners now and they get my regular price just like everyone else.

Agree-I would only charge more if she was trying to get a percentage of the sale from you. And if so (like if she wanted 10% or something) then add on 10% to what you would normally charge.

muddpuppy Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 12

"My cakes are priced per serving regardless of who is ordering them.
I work with a few party planners now and they get my regular price just like everyone else."

Me too! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshe09

Now, my issue is I don't want my cake prices any higher because thats the way I've been about the beat the compention.

I'm just hoping your prices are very close to the competition. I mean it's part of the risk to price on the lower end--someone might see/seize the opportunity to make the gravy from your roast.

KHalstead Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 12

i had a lady that owned a cookie shop (she didn't do cakes, because as she put it "she sucks at cakes")..and she asked if she could call me with cake orders and buy the cake from me and just have the customers pick them up from her shop?? At first I was like......what you do with the cakes is your deal not mine, but then I realized she was located in Pa. and i'm not supposed to sell across the Ohio line. In hindsight though, I know she was going to resell them and most likely at a profit........problem for me is, what if she did something to the cake and someone got sick?? I mean I would have no way of knowing what HER cleaning routines are and such and what if she dripped chicken juice on the cake or something? Seems fishy when people want to "resell" your product and have you be the "invisible baker"

I have a party store here where I live that takes orders and calls me and customers pick them up from there, but they don't make a profit (cakes help get people in the door to get party supplies, and I buy my supplies from them)...and they're never hesitant in telling the customers to contact me personally if they need to discuss design and they've also sent a few wedding cakes my way as well. When they don't WANT you to talk with the customer directly that's when it gets weird!

sheshe09 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks you guys have been soooooo helpful. Because, I beleive the customers should call me direct and I'm thinking she's up to something. Yes, my prices are under bakers because I am new. I've to many pepe this weekend and should have my license within 60 days max.

My friends and family said pull away cause she's making money off me and I need to protect my company and name. Who knows what can happen to those cakes once they leave my hands

JenniferMI Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 12

Usually you get what you normally do, then they mark it up.

Jen icon_smile.gif

sheshe09 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 1:40am
post #12 of 12

I'm thinking that the idea of offering a service few is something that may work best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%