Topsy Turvy Help

Decorating By WildSugar Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 9:22am by Diggingdogs

WildSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildSugar Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 4

I'm doing my first Topsy Turvy for a wedding in January, and i'm a little nervous! I found a couple good tutorials and I'm going to do a trial run or two before then, but i have a few questions for you guys!

What is a good recipe to be stable enough to hold all the tiers? I really like the scratch WASC recipe i found on here because it's yummy and simple to tweak for different flavors, but i want to make sure it's stable enough.

I've yet to find a tutorial that specifies if there are dowel supports in the middle tier to support the top tier. Do the dowels and the separating things (SPS? S...something i cant remember what it's called...) support the tiers well enough?

Also...i dont know how much cake to make. They want a 3 tiered cake to feed 100 people. I'm not sure how to figure out servings since part of the cake is carved off when making the tiers.

AAAAND finally....how much do ya'll charge for something like this, including a tasting? (I assume most work the "free" tastings into the price of the cakes) I realize everyone has different pricing, but i kinda want to get a ball park average. Keep in mind, i AM an amateur at this!

3 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 4

I've made 2 topsy turvey cakes, and I am planning on making another one next week. The one thing I can tell you ~ it is VERY important to chill your cakes thoroughly. I didn't do that to the last one I made, and it ended up falling apart on the edges. (I also made the angle a little too steep...). I had dowels supporting the middle as well as the top tier, and one long dowel going through the whole thing. As for how much cake, you kind of have to eyeball it. A 6-7-8, 8-9-10, 10-11-12 cake should give you about 102 servings, but then you have to shave some of that off. I would think 5-10% (if that much) of your cake will be shaved away, so just figure that into your cake sizes. HTH!

WildSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildSugar Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

I've made 2 topsy turvey cakes, and I am planning on making another one next week. The one thing I can tell you ~ it is VERY important to chill your cakes thoroughly. I didn't do that to the last one I made, and it ended up falling apart on the edges. (I also made the angle a little too steep...). I had dowels supporting the middle as well as the top tier, and one long dowel going through the whole thing. As for how much cake, you kind of have to eyeball it. A 6-7-8, 8-9-10, 10-11-12 cake should give you about 102 servings, but then you have to shave some of that off. I would think 5-10% (if that much) of your cake will be shaved away, so just figure that into your cake sizes. HTH!

I wasn't planning on doing the three size layers for each tier thing. I was going to just cut layers in half diagonally and put them together...so my bases aren't smaller than the tops, know what i mean? Maybe thats not a true topsy turvy. I guess i better let the bride decide what look she wants though! ANYways, i figure if i do a 8-10-12 that's close to 100 servings. They might do a grooms cake too, so they'd have plenty of cake.

AND i just got thinking....is there any reason the SPS wont work with a topsy cake?

Diggingdogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diggingdogs Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 9:22am
post #4 of 4

Ok. First...get the Totally Topsy Turvy dvd from www.sugaredproductions.com. This is a super video. Its like 6 hours long, but a complete instructional video.

The tops of the cakes are cut at an angle, however its an optical illusion. You have to cut into the base cake and level it. So each cake is actually sitting on a level surface. Also, you absolutely need 3 layers. Anything less will look way too small and smooshed. Remember, this is a wedding cake....it has to be perfect. You don't want to end up on cakewrecks.com!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%