To All You Only Buttercream Users...

Decorating By misterc Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 11:00pm by __Jamie__

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 7

More power to you! After doing an all BC cake I think I need to get back to the basics and work on perfecting my buttercream skills icon_redface.gif . I couldn't get my BC smoothe no matter how hard I tried. I usually use all butter in my BC. I know you can't really get it smoothe with all butter so I did half shortening and half butter. I had hoped that would make it a bit easier but it didn't.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I think you are amazing if you can get your buttercream nice and smoothe. Maybe I should just stick with fondant and let you guys do the all buttercream cakes!
Here is a link to the unsmoothe BC cake!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1524786

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 7

it's a really cute cake and not near as bad as you're making it out to be! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm a crisco-BC person, but I'm pretty sure you CAN smooth an all-butter icing. Is it a crusting BC? If so, I recommend the Melvira Method (search articles). Since discovering this method a couple of years ago, I've never made a cake and NOT used this method. It is AWESOME!!!!

If it's not a crusting BC, get a plastic bench scraper (looks like a drywall putty knife with a 4 to 6" blade). I had always used a metal bench scraper, but one day couldn't find it, so I grabbed a plastic scraper I had in the drawer. Gave the turntable a spin with the plastic scraper against the side and WOW! Practically didn't need to Melvira the thing at ALL!!!

misterc Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks indydebi- It is a non crusting BC, I'll have to get a scraper and try it out. I always shy away from BC orders because they frustrate me so much!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 7

yeah, it surprised me that the plastic worked better. I had been thinking the metal blade would be better because it gave a sure-and-true straight edge, where the plastic would bend and give a little. I guess it's like a shaving razor .... you get a smoother shave when the blade can bend and wiggle around our bumps and valleys! icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc

Thanks indydebi- It is a non crusting BC, I'll have to get a scraper and try it out. I always shy away from BC orders because they frustrate me so much!

I dread fondant orders because they frustrate me so much! How funny that we're all so different.

I think it looks good. I was expecting some lumpy monstrosity, but instead I see a great cake.

misterc Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 7

Don't let the cake fool you! The BC clouds really came in handy for covering up mistakes!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 7

Don't give up! I promise, if you invest in a Sugarshack DVD, you won't regret it. Takes your cakes to awhole nother level. Promise!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%