Edit Yourself?

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 1:05am by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 11

So every time a holiday comes up and I am asked to make a dessert or an appetizer I can never settle for just one. Maybe there is that small part of me that over achieves when it comes to food, but alot of the time it is just that more than one thing sounds good and I can't decide which to make.

Thanksgiving would be a good example, where I am to bring a (singular) dessert and currently have four ideas. I'm going to try to weed it down to three, but still!

So how do you edit yourself when it comes to making things like desserts or appetizers for family functions, or cookies for a cookie tray, or sweet treats for a basket when a million and one things sound good, or you have several new recipes to try, or you just can't narrow it down?

Does anyone else have this problem? Please say it isn't just me? icon_lol.gif

10 replies
costumeczar Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 11

It's easy when you have realtives who resent the fact that you're a baker, and they want to be the center of attention for their own baking. Let them make whatever they want and just relax.

Seriously, though, for a family dinner I think that you have to make the entire list of what you want to make, then choose three things, max. Save the rest for another time, but when there are more than three desserts people don't eat them all. Unless you have a million relatives, or a bunch of dessert pigs!

For cookie platters, all bets are off! Have at it and make as many different kinds as you want to, because eventually you'll get tired of it and quit! That's when you have enough (can you tell that I like cookies?) icon_biggrin.gif

tatorchip Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 11

OMG TexasSugar, I am the same way. I always bring more than asked for, but they really love it, the kids for sure. lol costumeczar I agree about the cookies.

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 11

Man, I hope someone can tell me how to edit as well. It's just so hard to do around the holidays! And I feel better known I don't have to edit the cookies! icon_biggrin.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:59am
post #5 of 11

I never have an issue with bringing just one thing
The editing I have issues with is my mouth. I calls em as I sees em. Hubby is the same way. Wonder why we have such a small group of friends. icon_confused.gif

snowboarder Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:14am
post #6 of 11

There came a time when I realized I was busting my a$$ trying to fit 20 baked things into an already tight time schedule. To make matters worse, no one asked me to bring 20 baked things. They said bake 1 thing, but I had all these brill ideas that were going to bowl people over with amazement and instead the deep fried turkey took center stage. So now I just bring 1 thing and it's much better.

7yyrt Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:33am
post #7 of 11

Bake your three things and then take the best one, freeze one and eat one. (Or give one away to the old lady down the hall.)

redpanda Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:44am
post #8 of 11

I'd love to give you advice on this, but unfortunately, I do the same thing. Now, the family we share holiday celebrations with has come to expect that I will always bring 3 desserts--one chocolate, one non-chocolate, and one-diabetic friendly. (And no, I can't cheat by having one dessert fit two categories, unless I have another that fits one of those two.)

cabecakes Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 11

This is why I thank goodness that I have a big freezer. You get to make your desserts and freeze them too. Make whatever you want and take a little of each. No need to edit. This works especially well with cookies icon_smile.gif. So bake away! Or, if you just typically overbake, you could always give the cookies to a church group, a shelter, a school fund-raiser, etc., etc., etc.

redpanda Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 8:01am
post #10 of 11

Well, I ended up bringing not three desserts, but five! My kitchen is being remodeled, and I thought I would have to do the three desserts without an oven, stove, or most of my supplies. The contractor working on my kitchen actually managed to have my range installed yesterday afternoon, so I was able to start baking last night (pumpkin pie and fruit tart). This morning, I continued, making brownie bites. I had faintly smelled natural gas, so I decided to call the Gas Company to have them check out the new pipes/connections. (The gas was relocated during the remodel.) They came out and said that there was a tiny leak in a connection inside the wall, and that the contractor would have to come out and fix it. In the meantime, they would have to shut off our gas service.

I had one more thing to bake--no sugar apple cobbler. (I had the apples cut already.) Since I couldn't use my oven, I had to bake in two smaller pans, which of course meant I had to make two different things--no sugar apple cobbler and no sugar apple crisp, both started in the microwave and finished in the toaster oven.

So, I am typing this in a house with no hot water and no heat overnight. The contractor said he'd pay for a hotel, but I'd rather stay home on Thanksgiving night.

TexasSugar Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 1:05am
post #11 of 11

I did end up doing three desserts. We are a big family so there was plenty of people to eat, plus I sent what was left of the apple pie and several slices of another dessert home with my bottom less pit nephew.

During regular work weeks sweets are not hard to get rid of, as the guys at work love sweets and will eat anything I bring in too.

I started baking Christmas cookies today. I'm going to do our typical cookies then maybe try some new ones. We shall see.

Everyone knows I love to bake, so I say, why not bake when I can and have people to eat it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%