Company Party/ Cocktail Dress Help!

Lounge By Rachie204 Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 1:45am by sweetcravings

Rachie204 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 15

Hey ladies...
So my husband has a new job this year so instead of the regular Christmas party where I wear dress pants and get to talk to people who are basically our friends...His new job is hosting a big Christmas party at a local hotel...(very nice place)...any who while I am excited to meet everyone...I have nothing to wear. They said ladies should wear cocktail dresses....so i have to go buy one. icon_lol.gif

Anyone know a good place to start....I literally have not bought a dress since before I gave birth to my son whom is now almost 6....I'm a little freaked out...I really need to make a good impression.

14 replies
TexasSugar Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 15

JC Pennies or Dillards would probably be where I start.

snowboarder Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 15

You might also want to consider shopping vintage stores.

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 15

Ross is a good place to find a nice dress that's not too expensive. A black dress is always good, and somewhere around knee length...not too short to sit in and not so long that it looks like a prom dress. If it's going to be cold, then you need a jacket or shawl that's as dressy as your dress.

Don't worry, you'll have fun!

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:06am
post #5 of 15

Ross does have really nice dresses for GREAT prices. I found one there that was a Saks brand for...$12 dollars!!!! Dillard's has a great selection as well, but more expensive. And have fun!

ccordes Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:27am
post #6 of 15

I'm in the same boat as you are this year! We haven't gone out like this since before my oldest was born 5yrs ago. I just got my dress this past weekend at Macy's They apparently were having a sale and their in-store sales are usually pretty good. I got a black $178 Calvin Klein dress for $79. They do have cute dresses that are a lot cheaper than that though.

DianeLM Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:00am
post #7 of 15

I just bought two party dresses at Ross yesterday for a total of $44.00. TJ Maxx also has lots of dresses. I found so many great clearance summer dresses, the season changed before I got to wear them all!

I've heard good things about Bealls and Stein Mart, if you have those. They have primarily misses sizes. I wear juniors, so I don't shop there personally.

cylstrial Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:41am
post #8 of 15

Macy's usually has a good selection of winter cocktail dresses.

Rachie204 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:03am
post #9 of 15

thanks ladies...I am definitely going to check out those suggestions. I was already thinking maybe Ross and tj max....also we have a kohls that I have recently discovered and love. Thanks again....I guess I'm just a little nervous since this is a 2-year temp job we are hoping to turn permanent.

mightydragon663 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 15

My new favorite clothing store is Burlington Coat Factory. Great prices and very stylish clothes and accessories.

cakesbycathy Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 15

Do you have a Kohl's near you? They have a pretty good selection and usually really good sales.

Rachie204 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:35am
post #12 of 15

Update...I found my dress today at tj max for $20! Hubby loves it..thanks for all your help.

quilting2011 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:54am
post #13 of 15

Buy a black dress. I still wear my $20 black dress from Macy's. I purchased it on sale during thanksgiving week.

You can always dress up a black dress. Try macy's, kohl's, or any discount clothing store. I never pay full price.

CakeForte Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:26am
post #14 of 15

ummm.....If I could own my own TJ Maxx store, I would. I luurrvve it. 98% of my name brands are from there.

sweetcravings Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:45am
post #15 of 15

Um..don't know if this is too late or not..but...not sure what size you wear either..BUT..if you wear plus sizes..I bought a beautiful black dress at layne bryant for around 85.00. It is sleeveless, but i just wore a shawl over my shoulders for added coverage. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%