Dry Sponge Cake

Decorating By shar26 Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm by backermeister

shar26 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 3

i made a sponge handbag cake to give to a relative for their birthday. i had some of the leftover cake and thought i would try it the day after i made it.

it was really dry and hard to the point that i couldn't eat it. i feel really embarressed as im sure the whole cake will be like that!

any ideas why my sponge would be so dry just after a day after i made it? any tips?

2 replies
sweettoothmom1 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 3

i haven't heard that happen unless i left something out of the recipe. you might want to double check, chances are u left something out as well. since a sponge is usually light. try again...it happens to the best of us

backermeister Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 3

Don't fret yet! A true sponge cake which is mainly leavened with eggs does not have a long shelf life. Your handbag may be just fine especially since it was protected from staling by your frosting. Sponge cakes are lighter and drier than our American moist cakes which is why many bakers choose to use a simple syrup to moisten them slightly. Whenever I use a new recipe esp for cakes I'm baking for others I often will use a small amt of the batter in a mini muffin tin for 1-2 muffins so I can taste the end product and be sure it is what I want. This small step will prevent further anxiety the next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%