Need Help With Fondant On Baseball, Please

Decorating By auntginn Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 5:59pm by auntginn

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 9

PLEASE!!! Can some one please tell me how to cover a small cake that needs to be in the shape of a baseball with fondant. When I have tried this (any type of ball shape) it does not end up smooth. I get to much fondant left over around one end of the ball.

I am making a baseball themed cake for this weekend and need to have a baseball on it.

Thanks in Advance

8 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 9

Is it half a ball or a whole ball?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #3 of 9

You can bake the cake in the wilton ball pan or a glass bowl. That will give you a smooth surface for the fondant. Or you can do what I did (see my pics). I baked a regular round cake. I then took fondant/gumpaste mix and pressed it into a bowl and let it dry hard. Once it was completely dry I put melted white chocolate in the inside of the hardened fondant to give it some stability. I didn't fill the entire thing up with chocolate, just enough to coat the surface. Then I flipped it over and placed it in the middle of my cake and I had a perfect half a baseball.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 9

On cake boss the other night they were covering round RKT with chocolate clay and getting it perfect! (the chocolate clay can be smoothed easier than fondant can - the warmth of your hands kind of melts it so you can get rid of seams and imperfections.)

auntginn Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 9

I'm so sorry for not replying but I did not get a message informing me of replies to my post. Thank you all for your advice and help.

The ball should be round. I like the rice krispie treat, forgot about that. I am also making a cap.

Here is my design idea. A squared 2 tierred cake. The tiers I plan to decorate as baseball diamonds. Then add a baseball cap, baseball and bat. For the top tier, I plan to add a stand up logo of the team (Angels, so it will be an "A" with the halo) Of coursse I will add the little plastic figures of baseball players (yuck!)

Thank you again for your help!! Happy Thanksgiving!

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 1:37am
post #6 of 9

You can check out my baseball grooms cake in my pics.....I did something similar to what you're describing. I made the baseball out of RKT - and found I could cover it by using two pieces of fondant....like a real baseball covering is. It's actually two pieces, sewn together. I looked at pics of a real baseball and cut my first piece of fondant (it's actually the shape of a contoured maxi pad - lol) and attached it. Then laid the second piece on the uncovered part and cut with a knife to match up to the shape of the first piece. Gosh, I hope this is making sense. Please ask other questions if there's anything I can explain better.

auntginn Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:53am
post #7 of 9

Thank you MJoyCake, Its a very nice cake. I think I understand what your trying to say about the baseball. If not I will hollar at ya tomorrow, if you don't mind.

Your cap is so... realistic, its awesome.

By the way, so is the rest of your work. Just loved it all.

Thank you for help.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks Auntginn! Best of luck with it!

auntginn Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 9

Good Morning my friends and fellow CCer's, I wanted to share with you the pics of the cake I made for Saturday with the baseball. I can't thank you all enough because everyone just raved about it. Its another new technique I've learned thanks to CC and you all.

I made a few changes to my original plan but basically still the baseball theme. Thanks again for all your help.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%