Question On Wedding Cake Vs. Average Cake Prices

Business By splymale Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 3:46am by PieceofCakeAZ

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 18

Do you charge more per serving for a wedding cake compared to a typical birthday cake? I'm assuming yes, beacuse wedding cakes are more involved & have more cost in structural purposes. Just wondering what others do.
Also, what % of a wedding order should I ask for a deposit?
Thanks for any help!!

17 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 18

I do tend to charge more, because of the time and the structure. I charge at least $2.50 per serving, plus $35 for delivery/setup, plus $50 if i need to stay and serve. I ask for half the cost of the cake 30 days prior to the event and the other half 7 days prior to the event. $50 non-refundable fee if cancelled within 7 days, because i have probably started making purchases and definitely tied up my schedule a week before the wedding. Not to mention the thought and planning i've already put into the cake. For party cakes, i usually do $1-1.50 per serving depending on design.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by splymale

Do you charge more per serving for a wedding cake compared to a typical birthday cake?

Nope. Mine are all overpriced, regardless of event. icon_lol.gif I use the same support, same ingredients, same attention to detail, yada yada yada. The only way it would cost more is if I am delivering outside of city limits. But then again, I do that with regular cakes as well, so that isn't even applicable.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 18

Wedding cakes are more work? icon_confused.gif

A birthday mom will tie up more of my time on a $75 cake than a bride will on a $400 cake.

A 3 tier cake for a birthday, will all kinds of ornate design is NOT less work than a 3 tier cake for a wedding that is just iced with ribbon wrapped around the base.

When I buy my eggs, if I tell my supplier I'm using htem for a birthday cake, and not a wedding cake, it's amazing but he DOESN'T give me a discount on them.

When I run the electricity for the oven, the meter doesnt run slower because it's a birthday cake in the oven and not a wedding cake.

Same ingredient costs, same amount of time to bake and ice it, same value of talent to decorate it.

I can't see where calling it a birthday cake saves me any money at all. Ergo, why should it be cheaper when I push it across the counter? icon_confused.gif

Same cake .... same work .... same price.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A birthday mom will tie up more of my time on a $75 cake than a bride will on a $400 cake.

Oh so true!

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 18

Wow, thanks for the quick advice!

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 18

"Same ingredient costs, same amount of time to bake and ice it, same value of talent to decorate it."

ditto

same price

llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 18

Same work, same price

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by splymale

Do you charge more per serving for a wedding cake compared to a typical birthday cake?

Nope. Mine are all overpriced, regardless of event. icon_lol.gif I use the same support, same ingredients, same attention to detail, yada yada yada. The only way it would cost more is if I am delivering outside of city limits. But then again, I do that with regular cakes as well, so that isn't even applicable.

Quote:

Wedding cakes are more work? icon_confused.gif

A 3 tier cake for a birthday, will all kinds of ornate design is NOT less work than a 3 tier cake for a wedding that is just iced with ribbon wrapped around the base.

When I buy my eggs, if I tell my supplier I'm using htem for a birthday cake, and not a wedding cake, it's amazing but he DOESN'T give me a discount on them.

When I run the electricity for the oven, the meter doesnt run slower because it's a birthday cake in the oven and not a wedding cake.

Same ingredient costs, same amount of time to bake and ice it, same value of talent to decorate it.

I can't see where calling it a birthday cake saves me any money at all. Ergo, why should it be cheaper when I push it across the counter? icon_confused.gif

Same cake .... same work .... same price.

You ladies crack me up. LOL

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 18

I guess I assumed a single layer sheet cake when I heard the term "party cake". i should say i would charge more for a tiered cake with structural support than i would for a single layer sheet cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 18

All cakes are priced the same. The difference is that I charge an Equipment Fee for tiered cakes. Delivery is $50 minimum and I wouldn't stay and cut the cake for any amount of $$. That's chillin' at home with the feet up time. However, someone upthread has waaaaay too lax payment policies. Around these parts, it can take 3 weeks for a check to clear my bnk and the customer's bank. Therefore, 25% down, non-refundable for ANY reason, and final payment 3 weeks in advance.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 18

I charge all my cakes per serving depending on how much work involved no matter what occasion its for.

It doesn't matter if its stacked, pillared, carved, or single layer...I price pretty much for the detail involved in the cake.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 18

Party cakes are more PIA than wedding cakes.... but you can get more for a wedding cake, the money is in the budget for it. Sounds harsh, but it's true. That said, tiered cakes are tiered cakes @ the same price per serving regardless of event. Single cakes are a lesser price point, but a bunch of singles (for use as satellite cakes) is the same as tiered.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:27am
post #14 of 18

I price the same, I just have party cakes pricing starting at a lower scale, for example for 20 people versus 100. I'm more strict with my time, it doesn't take several meetings to plan a party cake unless its on the scale of a wedding. Weddings are large productions and sometimes you have to coordinate with a lot of vendors.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:42am
post #15 of 18

cakeforte, I have one meeting with my brides and I've never had a need to coordinate with any other vendor. The only thing I do is if I'm going into a venue I've never been before, I'll call the day before to tell them what time I will be there.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:46am
post #16 of 18

Yeah I was wondering about that (the large productions and vendors???)...to me, a cake is a cake....the design totally depends on the customer, and so does the price. I've done simple weddings and fancy first birthdays...and each gets charged accordingly.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:57am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

Oh so true!

And you can double that time if it's for a first birthday. Baby Suzie needs her cake to be absolutely perfect! She only gets one first birthday you know! She can tell the difference between hot pink and magenta!

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:46am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

She can tell the difference between hot pink and magenta!

Awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%