Stumped...anyone Have An Idea For This...

Decorating By Juds2323 Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 1:36am by kakeladi

Juds2323 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 9

OK. I have to do my mother's 70th birthday cake for Thanksgiving. It will be for about 50 people so I'm thinking a 6 & a 10 round. I have the roses pictured below. I'm doing it in crusting cream cheese frosting and have a 70 topper for it too. I'm just not sure of design for the cake itself. She doesn't want it to look like a wedding cake so I'm thinking colored frosting? But can't decide on any details. Please, please help me. I really want it to be pretty for her.

Thanks in Advance.

Judi
LL
LL

8 replies
jammjenks Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 9
jammjenks Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 9

Oh, I forgot to mention that your roses are so beautiful. I wish I could make flowers like that!

dinascakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 9

Your roses are so beautiful!! Why don't you do a rose garden cake? You could even do a little picket fence going around the bottom tier...and maybe the "70" could be coming up from the roses on the top tier. Either way, I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job and your mom will be so happy. icon_smile.gif

Juds2323 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the compliments on the roses. I actually used Tonedna's youtube tutorials. I'm really pleased how they turned out. The london cake one is really neat. hmmm.... I had a couple ideas and when I thru them passed my mom she vetoed them both. One was too busy and the next tooo plain, and in the next breath it's do whatever you want.... I guess that's why I'm having so much trouble with this.

Thanks,

Judi

dinascakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 9

Poor you, it IS frustrating when someone doesn't know what they want...and on top of it, it's your mom and you want to make sure its extra special!! icon_sad.gif

Juds2323 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 9

Ok. I've decided to try and do something similar to: http://londoncake.com/images/41/003074%20Figure%2070%20Birthday%20Cake%20Standard%20Finish.jpg

But now I'm stumped on how to do the 70 shaped cakes. All I have is round and square pans.... HELP!

Judi

jammjenks Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:20am
post #8 of 9

I have the oval pans, so I'd make the "0" from that.

For the "7", I would use a sheet pan and carve. You'll have a lot of waste that way, but that is still how I'd do it.

kakeladi Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:36am
post #9 of 9

If you don't have a sheet pan, use a sq closest in size to the round you are going to use for the zero. It's not hard to carve a 7 from a sq. Yes, there will be waste but you can make cake balls or just squirt some icing on and let the family enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%