Collapsed Mess

Decorating By Kz1112 Updated 13 Dec 2009 , 1:54pm by JenniferMI

Kz1112 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 4

I had a cake order for a topsy turvy sweet 16 cake. The cake was a white cake with chocolate mousse filling. Oh and it happend to be an order for the CFO of the company I work for...

I was very organized and began to tort and fill my cakes. Seemed ok
at the time. Then I went to cover with fondant and my cakes were leaking mousse... but I just wiped them off and recovered with buttercream not thinking anything of it. after all my tiers were covered they began to mush and bulge out... I still thought ok I can make this work. So I went ahead and stacked the cakes and began to decorate.

Everything was ok not great but ok... until the cake just cracked and fell apart. Oh and this was about midnight on Friday and the cake was to be delivered for a 7pm party the next day about 50 miles away no less. I then had to rebake all my tiers (for 100 guests) and start from scratch.

I was so freaked I decided to forget the topsy part and just stacked my tiers straight and decorated the cake. I worked up until the last minute and was able to deliver the cake by 6:30pm. Good news is the clients were very pleased with the cake and didn't even notice the topsy part wasn't included.

I am pretty sure I filled the cake with too much mousse and maybe cut a little too deep into the tiers.

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 4

Wow--What a save!!

You did good, no, great!!!

Hope you've gotten all calmed down & relaxed by now--so sorry that happened!! But wow what a tremendous save!!!

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 4

Many, many decorators don't put filling in topsy turvy cakes--just putting the layers together with some buttercream-- for this very reason.

Some tempt fate and it works out OK, but more often than not, it leads to unnecessary problems.

Glad it worked out!
Rae

JenniferMI Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 4

Glad it worked out..... I would guess to much filling as well.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%