I'm Hoping We Can Figure This One Out Together!

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 4:43pm by DetailsByDawn

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 21

Leave it to a 12-yr old to pick this cake... So I think I have most of it figured out. Was going to make a bunch of rounds, cut in half and stack, then carve out eyes and make beak out of RKT and cover with fondant. What I am having trouble with are the "feathers". If I made them out of gumpaste and put them on something to dry (a balloon?) I still have no idea how I would be able to attach it to the head and have it secure. Maybe I can make the bottom the same shape as the top (with the points) and stick it directly into the cake? It won't look as seamless as the real thing...but...I don't know what else to do! Would have to roll out pretty thin too so it wouldn't weigh down b/c of the angle it would be on. Would love to hear what y'all think! And than you in advance... icon_smile.gif
LL

20 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 21

Just use a little bit of frosting to secure the feathers. I think I would actually probably lay the feathers flat. And then put like 20% of them on crumpled up paper towels so that they will have some natural curve.

Did you see the Big Bird cake that Mike McCary did? It was all fondant feathers. You should check it out. It was a food network challenge.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 21

Why not use rice paper to give it the realistic look? It's CHEAP and super easy - just cut and stick! Attached is a feather cake made with rice paper, just to give you an idea as to what it might look like.
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 21

That is a sweet cake Dawn!

DetailsByDawn Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

That is a sweet cake Dawn!

Isn't it cool? It's not one I made, but I'm doing rice paper butterflies for a cake this weekend, and I bought enough so I could do a small feather cake on the side for my MIL's birthday! Can't wait - it's so inexpensive I thought it would be a great practice cake!

cakelady11215 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 21

cylstrial - you're absolutely right...a balloon would be too curved. I'm not sure I would trust it adhereing with just buttercream though...I've got a bit of a drive to deliver icon_smile.gif i tried to find the bigbird cake and i couldn't find a pic that was close enough to see the detail, but i don't think i need to worry about having it look natural for this cake!

detailsbydawn - what an incredibly great idea! i love it, and i think i have some rice paper too! my only concern is that it won't be as white as the rest. i guess i could see what color it is and try to match the fondant to it. although it looks pretty white in that pic...

so with the rice paper, if i just adhere to the back of the mask then how would you hide the seam of where it meets the "head" ? Or would you adhere coming from the front? icon_confused.gif

DetailsByDawn Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 21

cakelady, you're right, mine is not a true bright white, but it is pretty white. I just coated it with piping gel for the butterflies, and it's a bit more translucent now. As for attaching it, it's going on fondant right? Hmmmm, maybe just the tiniest bit of white choc candy melts, so it blends right into the fondant? If you do it that way, I wouldn't even fold over the bottom, just put the straight edge directly onto the choc. As soon as it cools, it should hold firm. Maybe a quick trial on a small bit of fondant to see if the choc disappears into the fondant so you don't have any "seam" look to it. Thinking out loud.... So sorry if I rambled.

cakelady11215 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 21

candy melts, another brilliant idea...
i was thinking of the seam where the feathers meet the top of the head. with putting the straight edge on the bottom and having it come up the back of the head, there will be a seam where the fondant meets the paper at the top. maybe i can use candy melts there to blend...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 21

sounds like you've pretty much got it all figured out, can't wait to see the final cake

By the way........what on earth is that?????? Is it a paper mache sculpture or something?? It reminds me of a huge bird that just pecked something to death......are you doing blood spatters on the cake?

cakelady11215 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 21

with detailsbydawn's help i think i might do ok icon_smile.gif
and i can't wait to see the final cake either! lol
i think it's from the video game "bioshock" which i'm sure my nephew is too young to play...but i guess someone made a mask of a character.
am i gonna do the blood spatters? definitely! that's the easy part! plus, he'd never forgive me if i didn't. lol!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #11 of 21

lol.........will definitely be a really COOL cake! I am pretty sure you'll pull it off spectacularly!

DetailsByDawn Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:59pm
post #12 of 21

Awww! Well, I hope it helps! I've never made a blood-spattered-bio-something-bird-with-rice-paper-feathers before, so I really don't know what I'm talking about, but I really hope it helped with some inspiration! I cannot wait to see this thing! Please make sure you post a pic in this thread so I don't miss it!!!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:15am
post #13 of 21

THAT is the wierdest thing I have EVER seen!!!!! Gotta show us how it turned out, b/c my DH would love something that different (and blood-spattered) for our wedding anniversary. I'd say his birthday, but that's in September!!!

The Melts are perfect for glueing (sp??). Royal Icing too. and RI (when it is still fresh) you can take a paintbrush and blend all the seams together. Both are VERY sturdy!

DetailsByDawn Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:28am
post #14 of 21

Just a quick note - RI would work great for blending those seams, but I would keep it away from the rice paper - it might dissolve it!

uberathlete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uberathlete Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:54am
post #15 of 21

W T H is that? lolz, sorry I just had to say that. Your daughter has one heck of an imagination, and taste. icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady11215 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:42am
post #16 of 21

mommyle - i do love the RI idea for blending, that would work perfectly but detailsbydawn is afraid of the dissolving factor...so i am too! lol. i guess i'm gonna have to do a little testing tomorrow night and see which works best.

uberathlete - daughter? oh no...it's my nephew. and as i said in an earlier post he's probably too young (12) to be playing the game that this mask is modeled after. but hey, i'm not his mother...lol.

don't think i mentioned before but we are celebrating his bday on thanksgiving b/c everyone will be together. what a thanksgiving day dessert, huh? lol

thanks to everyone again...going back to the kitchen and will definitely post pics. fingers crossed!

icon_wink.gif

uberathlete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uberathlete Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:55am
post #17 of 21

Ahaha, word. It is kinda strange ifa girl would think about a cake like that. Makes much more sense if your nephew thought about it.

DetailsByDawn Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 6:10am
post #18 of 21

Hi Cakelady,
Well, I'm not sure what method you decided to go with, but I just did a quick trial with my rice paper butterflies and thought I would share, in case you decide to go in that direction. So, I coated my rice paper sheets with piping gel mixed with pearl dust and let dry. Then I cut my butterflies and piped a chocolate body onto my fondant and stuck the butterfly right on top. It held TIGHT! It worked perfectly!! Then....... I put it in the fridge. I know, I know - controversial!! But I always fridge my fondant because I only use SMBC. Anyway, I took it out of the fridge after about 5 hours and nothing happened! Looks perfect, no problem with moisture and the rice paper. Just thought I'd share in case it helps at all. Good luck with that super weird cake!!!!!

cakelady11215 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:15am
post #19 of 21

well, here it is! it came out ok, but of course i would change a few things if doing it again (which i'm pretty confident i won't!). thanks again to everyone for their very helpful advice!! icon_smile.gif

cakelady11215 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:16am
post #20 of 21

oops!!
LL

DetailsByDawn Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:43pm
post #21 of 21

OMG!!!! For a second, I thought you reposted the mask, then I saw the candles!!! What an absolutely AMAZING job you did!!! I bet your nephew was thrilled! Wow... Just WOW!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%