Disasembling Cake

Decorating By Debcent Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 3:57am by denetteb

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 9

Does any one know if there is directions on how to disasemble and cut a tiered wedding cake so that there is icing on each piece served? (Doesn't the icing stick to the boards underneath each layer as it is removed?) I know this is a dumb question. icon_redface.gif
thanks Deb

8 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 9

I don't ice the bottom of the cakes...just a dab in the center to hold the cake on the board.

The icing on the sides touching the bottom of the cake board should come off easily with a good cake serving utensil.

Debcent Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 9

I think I need to clarify. When you have a 3 tiered cake and as you lift the tiers off, Doesn't the icing on top of a tier lift off(stick) to the bottom underside board of the tier above it as you lift it up?

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 9

In my experience, I use a crusting BC recipe and allow the icing to crust before assembling the tiers and I have not had the problem of icing coming off on the bottom of the boards.

ETA: And it's not a dumb question at all. icon_biggrin.gif

Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 9

A dusting of powder sugar before placing the next tier on top will prevent the icing from sticking to the bottom of the cake board.

Debcent Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 9

WOW! Thank you so much everyone.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 9

you can also cut a circle of wax paper and put it on top of each tier before you stack the next one, then when you remove a cake, just peel back the wax paper and you have a perfectlly iced cake. I do this a lot with big stacked carved cakes (like my slot machine cake) it was like 5 or 6.........2" layers of cake and I put the wax paper in between and I had to cut and serve and it was easy peasy, basically was like I had 6 quarter sheet cakes to cut and serve once it was disassembled.

Debcent Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:00am
post #8 of 9

Thanks Khalstead, I really like your idea. I will try this. Thank you so much!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:57am
post #9 of 9

One other tidbit besides the above ideas is when you decide on the length of the dowels or whatever you are using for supports. Leave them long enough that they will be supporting the board above and the board is only just barely on the icing below. If you make them too short, below the icing then the icing bears the weight and can be harder to remove the board without taking off the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%