How Would I Go About Selling Cakes?

Decorating By Melinda3 Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 2:37pm by TexasSugar

Melinda3 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:22am
post #1 of 5

I knew at cake decorating, I've only made a few cakes,but all my friends that I have made them for said, I should start selling them. How would I do this? What do I charge? What do I need to do?

4 replies
jammjenks Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:06am
post #2 of 5

The first thing to do would be to contact your county health dept and ask them what all you need. Laws vary from one place to another, so really you'd need to ask your health dept to know where to begin.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 5

I see that you are in Georgia. FYI, Georgia does not license home kitchens. So your best bet is to rent time from a commercial kitchen, and then go ahead with all of the other necessary things that you would need to start a business.

indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #4 of 5

You've come to the best resource site for all things cake. I'd recommend you set aside a long Saturday afternoon and just start reading almost every thread in the business forum. you'll find a goldmine of information on this topic.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You've come to the best resource site for all things cake. I'd recommend you set aside a long Saturday afternoon and just start reading almost every thread in the business forum. you'll find a goldmine of information on this topic.

Just one Saturday afternoon? The information in that thread would take days! But it is great advice. Not just the business forum, but all of them.

It is so easy for family and friends to tell you to sell your cakes, because they really have no idea what all is involved. Apart from the Legalities, there is your time that is involved. Time you could be spending with your family. And when they say sell they often don't understand the expense behind the cakes and really don't want to pay much or want you to give them free cakes or discounts away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%