Painting Fondant Black?

Decorating By bellabakes Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 3:49am by bellabakes

bellabakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:17am
post #1 of 5

So I'm going to be making a cake in a few weeks and a I want a pretty good size part of it to be black. I don't have the money/desire to buy black fondant or satin ice and I can't start with chocolate because its for someone who hates chocolate... but I figured I could paint my MMF black. I've never actually painted on fondant so I don't know how it will come out.

Has anyone successfully painted a large part of white fondant black?
Does it come out really black or just dark grey?
Can you/should you do more than one coat?
Does it come out streaky?
Will the wilton coloring in the little pots work for this mixed with vodka?
Does anyone have a picture of a large area painted black?
Have I asked enough questions?
Should I stop?????

Ok.. I'm done tapedshut.gif

TIA everyone!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 5

I would just make the fondant black by adding black coloring in when you add the liquid in your recipe.

I can make black fondant more easily than I can paint it black and have it look even, personally.

If you paint it on straight from the jar, it will take forever to dry. This was painted black with straight Wilton gel. I started with white fondant.
It took a week to dry. It ended up a little streaky too.

The other thing is, Wilton's black breaks down into green and purple. Sometimes when you paint with it, the purple fades out and the green remains. Americolor's super black dries and doesn't fade in weird ways, so if you can get that and you're sure you want to paint your cake, then that's probably the best way to go.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:32am
post #3 of 5

If you really want it a nice black, you would have to start with a greyish or blackish fondant and then airbrush it for a nice finish. Handpainting is okay but for large areas you are going to see streaks.

The Satin Ice black is seriously the way to go, unless you are giving this as a gift and just can't afford to buy it.

KristyCakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with Kitagrl. I see streaks in small areas too - even after multiple coats.

bellabakes Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:49am
post #5 of 5

thanks everyone for the posts! I think I may end up just changing my plan... its just for my brothers birthday for free, hes not even having a party or anything so I'm not going to be buying black fondant. I may try making my MMF black but I can always just make something else since he doesn't know I'm making him a cake at all.

thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%