Mini Ball Pan

Decorating By sugarandslice Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 3:42pm by ibmoser

sugarandslice Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 8

I'd like some help please!! I have had no success at all with the Wilton mini ball pan. I am really keen to try making Christmas ornament cupcakes this year but every time I try the mini ball pan either the cakes stick and so come out mis-shapen or they fall apart. I use homemade pan release and my fail-proof cupcake recipe.
Any help? advice?
TIA

7 replies
sugarandslice Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 8

Anyone?
icon_sad.gif

JGMB Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:59am
post #3 of 8

I'm not sure what homemade pan release is, but I've had success with the good old method of greasing the pan with Crisco, then shaking in some flour.

totallycaked Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:42am
post #4 of 8

I love love using the spray with the flour in it.. I have the best of luck... worth every penny. I dont have the mini ball pan but I use the regular ball pan and some detailed pans and the bakers spray with the flour in it is amazing.. I would give it a try! Good luck!

CandyCU Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:59am
post #5 of 8

Yes, I'm with JGMB on this one - on all my novelty cakes that have designs inbuilt into the tin, I brush on melted shortening then shake plain flour all around the tin to coat getting rid of excess flour before putting in batter. When using all my standard round/square tins I grease and line.

I hope this helps and happy baking!

miasuzzette Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:33am
post #6 of 8

I Found it and he it is...
Low cost alternative to expensive commercial cake release products. Eliminates the need to flour cake pans.

Cake Release II
Ingredients
1 c. flour
1 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. vegetable oil
Instructions
In medium bowl, mix 1/2 c. flour with 1/2 c. vegetable shortening on medium low speed on mixer until well blended. Add remaining flour and shortening and continue mixing until blended well. Slowly drizzle in vegetable oil and blend until homogenous mixture is obtained.

Brush liberally on edges and sides of cake pan using pastry brush or silicon basting brush.
May be stored in refrigerator for up to 6 months

sugarandslice Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:50am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone. That's the exact recipe I've been using for my pan release, miasuzzette, and it works with every other pan and every other cake recipe.
Perhaps it's the recipes I'm using?!
What scratch recipes have you found work with the mini ball pan?
Thanks again,
Emma

ibmoser Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 8

I have no problems with the mini-ball pan, and I have used the spray with flour and the home-made release listed above. It could be that your recipe is too fragile and/or that you are trying to remove them from the pan too quickly. Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes and gently loosen them if necessary. I generally hold the pan in one hand and hit the edge of the pan against my other hand to loosen them. If any appear to be sticking, I gently work them loose before placing a cooling rack on top of the mini-ball pan and flipping them both over at once. All six cakes release onto the rack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%