Need Ideas For Finishing This Cake

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 12:03am by d3sc3n7

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 15

Ok..this is one of a few cakes being done by a decorating team, at work. This is the one I'm working on.

Were doing a Mardi Gras theme here

We have some beads I'm going to be adding tomorrow. The leaves are not attached, just seeing if I like them there. I'm thinking of doing some multi-color strips on the bottom layer, using the colors of the top 2 tiers. Possibly some stars wrapping around the middle tier. Not sure though...We have some small streamers that are going to hang between the bottom cake, and the board (which you can see)

Any ideas you guys can come up with, will be much appreciated

14 replies
Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 15

Where's the required gumpaste purple/gold/green feathered mask?

d3sc3n7 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 15

We have a few masks which will be done tomorrow also

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 15

I don't why there is an American flag on top.

d3sc3n7 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

I don't why there is an American flag on top.

I'm military, so flags go everywhere

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 15

how about a harlequin diamond pattern around the side like this?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/mardi%20gras%20cake/luckylatina1786/mardigrascake.jpg

I like the idea of a mask. If these are easier to do, maybe something like this?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/mardi%20gras%20cake/cakesbyjanet/MardiGrasCake.jpg

Definitely need the colors already mentioned.

How about a trumpet?

I'm anxious to see your final cake.

ChefSusanC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefSusanC Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 15

You could add a flowing parade type dragon wrapping around one of the cakes. -Susan

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 15

It's a little pale for mardi gras...usually you see bold colors. Do y'all have an airbrush? You might paint the fondant bolder colors if you do.

I think I'd do gold, purple and green diamonds on the middle tier and stripes on the bottom tier.

The leaves don't really fit the theme very well...you could take some kitchen scissors and snip the sides, plus indent a vein in the middle of it, then paint with some metallic dusts and you would have fancy feathers.

d3sc3n7 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 15

@Cownsj I like the diamond idea...better than the stars I was going to do

@ Texas_Rose I agree its pale...I still dont know how you guys make such bright colors, I can get them deeper but not brighter. No airbrush available. We were given a VERY Limited amount of time to get the place ready for. Its a army dining facility, and there is a turkey day decorating competition every year.

Our part counts for 75% of the score, and we got 2 days to get the whole building ready!

Oh yeah...another good idea with feathers instead of leaves...thanks guys

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 15

Paint it, with icing color mixed with vodka. Use a big brush and try not to go over the same spot twice unless it's dried. That's how I get brighter colors without an airbrush.

cownsj Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 15

I agree with painting it. If you don't have vodka, you can use vanilla, just remember that it takes a little bit longer to dry. And if you paint too much, you can wipe the excess off. If you paint too little, keep adding color, and if you want to do a 2nd coat you can, just make sure it's completely dry before doing a 2nd coat. If you haven't painted before, don't be afraid, you get the hang of it VERY quickly.

d3sc3n7 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 15

Ok folks, the finished cake is in my photos now. (Just uploaded, may not show yet)

cownsj Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 15

Wow, you brought that cake a long way from that first photo. Good job. I bet everyone loved it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 15

Great job 'updating' it.....as previous poster said, BIG difference from that 1st pic.

d3sc3n7 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 12:03am
post #15 of 15

thanks folks...I put a ton of time into that one. Hope I can get another cake to do soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%