Supporting Sugared Fruit On Cake

Decorating By juleebug Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm by juleebug

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 7

I have a last minute client (she's getting married THIS FRIDAY) who fell in love with this cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=539303

She has requested I duplicate it almost exactly. I have never done sugared fruit before but I searched the forums and I think I have all the info I need for that.

My question is what would you use to support the weight of the fruit to keep it from crushing the edges of the cake?

I sent a PM to the original decorator but with it being so close to the wedding (and Thanksgiving) I thought she might not see it until it's too late.

I would be forever grateful for any advice.

TIA

6 replies
bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 7

I made a cake with fruit on it. I staked the fruit with skewers and stuck them into the cake. It worked out fine. I used very small lemons and limes. For heavier fruit, you may want to use two skewers. The grapes I would add on site.

juleebug Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 7

So, in essence, the fruit is "suspended" on the skewers rather than sitting on the cake?

(I apologize if that's an ignorant question but I just want to be sure I don't do the wrong thing and crush the cake.)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:09am
post #4 of 7

Just an idea but couldn't you sugar artificial fruit (to cut down on the
weight)...

I have assorted fruits from Hobby Lobby that you can't tell aren't fresh until you pick them up. icon_smile.gif

juleebug Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:49am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for responding, JanH. I had thought about artificial fruit but the closest Hobby Lobby or Michael's is over 2 hours away. Even Wal-Mart (IF they had anything like that) is over an hour away for me. With the holidays and my other commitments, I just don't have time. Also, I think she really wants real fruit.

juleebug Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:50am
post #6 of 7

Is there anyone else out there with experience on this subject?

juleebug Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 7

I guess not. Thank you bakery_chick and JanH for your advice. Happy Thanksgiving to you both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%