Gumpaste Cracking

Decorating By Tjustis0211 Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm by Tjustis0211

Tjustis0211 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 4

im having trouble with making gumpaste figures in advance and they are cracking and not drying all the way. I have also done a fondant bow and let it sit for two days and when I went to put it on the cake it went limp. What do I need to do different to make the gumpast figures not crack and the fondant no droop and dry well. is there a good recipe for both and any techniques?

3 replies
Kaytecake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 4

Are you mixing your gumpaste with fondant? When I tried using gumpaste only- it was difficult to work with and did crack when it dried. I now mix gumpaste with fondant in a 50/50 ratio and have had better results. Are you placing your gumpaste bow directly on BC frosting? The fat in the frosting will soften your gumpaste. I haven't done any designs with bows so I'm not much help there. I always place my figures on a fondant covered base to prevent them from coming in contact with the frosting. HTH icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 4

1. For the gumpaste, you need to KNEAD in some shortning to the gumpaste to "activate" it - and then knead it some more. It should be the consistency of silk when you are done - then it won't crack when your pieces are made.

2. For bows, you need to do a 50/50 mix of fondant/gumpaste for it to hold the shape. Fondant alone is not strong enough. I have put 50/50 bows on buttercream many times, it does not affect it. Your trouble there is using all fondant. Make sure the loops are completely dry before using them too, or they will fall.

Tjustis0211 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 4

thanks so much these tips will help me out for sure!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%