What's The Point................?

Business By MikeRowesHunny Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm by JenniferMI

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 8

I spent ages on my website, and thought I had clearly set out what my starting prices were for different kinds of cakes.

I just had an enquiry from a guy about a 3D tractor cake for Sunday, who was very specific about the dimensions this cake had to be. I worked out that it would be 35 servings approx and gave him a price of 175 euros. He then comes back to me asking how big the cake would be if they didn't want to spend more than 50 or 60 euros, umm, non-existent bud - minimum charge is 65 euros for any cake and I won't touch 3D for under 100 euros.

I know this guy came to me through my website as he filled in my enquiry form and told me he found me though a search engine.

This kinda pissed me off, so I asked if he actually looked at the pricing page. His reply:

I have found the pricing, but I did not know how much servings the tractor would be and maybe the 100 euros is not always the start price.

Well, duh, what else does 'starting from XXX' and 'minimum charge xxx' mean then?!

I give up sometimes icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 8

ROFLMHO.... that is great!!!! dunce.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah...I get idiot emails like that all the time..People are just hoping you will cut them a deal! Tire kickers I say.....

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 8

No matter what you put on there, you will get the same questions. I think people need to hear someone say it for it to be real. KWIM? But yeah, PITA. I have resorted to saying "that cake will be $6.50/serving. Your options for 50 are either A,B, or C, which serve XX, XX, XX respectively. So, multiply either of those by $6.50, and there is your price. I have done that a couple of times now.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 8

I think for some people, writing on websites is like the way adults talk on Charlie Brown cartoons - Waa-waa-waa!! icon_lol.gif No matter how simple you say it, they won't get it. icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 8

I have an aunt (god bless her 87 year old heart!) who is ALWAYS saying, "oh well they SAY that but you know you can do blah blah blah".

She's definitely one of those "the rules dont' apply to ME" people. Like when she told me, "Oh the health dept SAYS you have to have a commercial stove, but you can run out to sears and get one of those .... they'll let you use that."

I have no idea where she gets her "insider info" but I swear, no matter what the rules say, no matter what the disclaimer says, no matter what the lawyer said, she always pulls the "oh they SAY that but......."!

god luv her! icon_rolleyes.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:03am
post #7 of 8

indydebi- your aunt sounds alot like my mother. she also says, "i dont pay tax" when shes as a store.
i say "MOM! what do you mean you dont pay tax!?" and she says- the rules dont apply to me. needless to say she does pay tax, but shes always thinks whatever the 'rules' in life are - never apply to her.
and it pisses her off (laughing) that im such a rule follower.
ugh......drives me crazy!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 8

You're going to get that....no matter what. Just be firm on your prices.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%