Gelatin-Free Fondant??? Oh Crud. Help?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 3:12pm by chanielisalevy

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 21

Just got an order for this weekend. The customer really wanted it covered in fondant, but just called me back and said she found out the guest of honor cannot eat gelatin. I guess its a religious thing? She said the family would be really opposed to it.

Is it possible to make fondant without gelatin? What purpose does gelatin serve? Is there a substitute ingrediant I could use? I usually use MMF but MM's have gelatin. My other option is Michelle Fosters but, alas, gelatin as well. Ideas guys?

20 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 21

Alot of vegeterians won't eat gelatin either. I'd say look for a vegan recipe. There is a product out there that is like gelatin for vegans, I think it is agar agar or agur agur, but don't quote me on that.

I think the gelatin would be something that you would have to have, since all homemade recipes have gelatin or MMs (which does have it in them).

creatingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creatingcakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 21

So does that mean that the store bought fondant (ie Satin Ice) has gelatin in it as well? I was just approached by someone that asked me that very same thing, and did not know- TIA

JCE62108 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 21

I did a littl research and yes, I saw a source that mentioned using agar agar in place of gelatin. Has anyone done this? Do you use the same amount of agar agar as you would gelatin? Do you dissolve it just like gelatin?

Im looking up health food stores now to see if they have it. I figure that's where Id probably find it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 21

Jenn, I would say yes it does have it in it, but you want to contact Satin Ice to be sure.

Maybe we have someone on the board that has used Agar agar, or you can try finding a vegan website and asking???

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 21

Hi, I don't eat gelatin so I am always careful about that ingredient. Satin Ice don't have any gelatin. If you want to make your own (I do) I substitute gelatin with fruit pectin. But I have only found ONE brand that is successful for me and it is called Pomona. I buy it at Whole Foods. It takes much longer to dissolve in cold water than gelatin but would other wise work the same in the recipe. 1 Tablespoon of gelatin = 1 teaspoon of Pomona fruit pectin. (I make the Wilton recipe for fondant but they are all basically the same). I have once tried other brands but the fondant has not been good and teared, except the Pomona brand.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 21

Wilton's fondant is vegan too.

Reading the ingredients of the commercial fondants, I've noticed they seem to have gums instead of gelatin...wilton and satin ice both have gum trag. I wonder if using a little tylose would add the stretch that gelatin does. I don't think you'd substitute equal amounts because it's much thicker than gelatin when mixed with water.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 21

Hi , I use satin ice for this reason alone .But if your customer is Muslim or Jewish ,you might ask them and use Kosher MM or kosher gelatin to make your fondant.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 21

Tylose & gum trag are very different. The gum trag will give you the stretch without making it dry out too fast. Tylose will lead to more rapid drying and cracking. The 2 are NOT interchangeable.

Rae

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 21

Well, I just went to the Satin Ice web page for Canada, and they say right there "Certified Kosher Pareve". But I know that you can get Kosher gelatin that is still made with animal, so for a Muslim, this would not work. Call the company and find out! Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

JCE62108 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:06pm
post #11 of 21

Thank you guys. Im not interested in buying my fondant. I never have and probably never will. I just dont like the taste of it. Im really hoping someone out there substituted the agar in a normal fondant recipe. Or Pectin. If anyone has substituted pectin do you just pretty much do it the same way as the gelatin? Ive never used pectin. Is it a powder?

JCE62108 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:22pm
post #12 of 21

I just had a thought!!!!

Rolled Buttercream?

What do you think??? Ive never used it before though, so I have no clue what its like or how it handles.

The cake is a large 3D ladybug, so I would need to be able to color it red and black. It would need to be able to cover a round-ish cake and cut some spots.

What do you think, would it work? Does it handle similar to fondant? Does it dry? Does it taste just like buttercream? Wow. I just got kind of excited here. I hope you guys tell me this will work.

My rolled buttercream recipe has no gelatin in it.

Rolled Buttercream Icing
Ingredients
Ingredients:
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners’ (powdered) sugar (7 8 cups)
1/2 teaspoon popcorn salt (fine grain salt)

Instructions
Directions:

Place shortening and corn syrup in mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Add flavorings and salt. Beat until blended. Add confectioners’ sugar and blend thoroughly. The mixture will be very stiff. Place icing on work surface and knead until smooth and well blended.

Storage
Store icing in sealed plastic bag then place bag in airtight container. Icing can be refrigerated for several weeks or frozen for several months.

Additional Information:
Bring to room temperature before using.
* I add more confectioners sugar.So Keep Kneading!!
** Of course add the color paste you desire!

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 21

I would think agar-agar would be a good substitute but I'm not sure about the quantity. Another option would be guar gum.
Please post your success story and the recipe after you have tried it.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:54am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Well, I just went to the web page for Canada, and they say right there "Certified Kosher Pareve". But I know that you can get Kosher gelatin that is still made with animal, so for a Muslim, this would not work. Call the company and find out! Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Muslims can and do eat foods that are Kosher. In fact many Muslims prefer this labelling, because Jewish dietary restrictions are VERY similar to Muslim ones.

Kosher indicates that the gelatin came from a source that was NOT a pig. It's likely the source was fish. But if Satin Ice is Kosher that means there is nothing in the product that was derived from a pig. This makes it perfectly fine for a Muslim to eat as well.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:19am
post #15 of 21

Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme has the following ingredients, no gelatin:

Corn Syrup, Sugar, Water, Egg Whites, Artificial Flavor, Cream of Tartar, Xanthan Gum, Artificial Color (Contains Blue 1).

Recipe for Marshmallow Creme fondant:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2148/easy-marshmallow-fondant

HTH. icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:22am
post #16 of 21

Regarding the rolled buttercream...I could be wrong but I believe I have heard that it is quite soft and stretchy and difficult to cover a cake with. I've used it with great results for cookies, though. Just my two cents. icon_biggrin.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:25am
post #17 of 21

If your client needs it to be kosher, one option I just thought of is buying Marshmallows made with gelatin from fish. They sell it at health food stores. One brand that I know of is called Elyon and it says on the bag that it is kosher. Only the bag is 7 oz so they are a little smaller. If you need the fondant to be free of any gelatin at all, I would recommend using pectin (the Pomona I told you about). I use it all the time.

JCE62108 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisseyann

Regarding the rolled buttercream...I could be wrong but I believe I have heard that it is quite soft and stretchy and difficult to cover a cake with. I've used it with great results for cookies, though. Just my two cents. icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, from what Ive read Ive heard it is kind of a pain to work with. I am going to make a batch tomorrow to try it out. I need to make a cake for my Grandmothers birthday, so I can practice on that cake. If I dont like it Ill see about finding a gelatin substitute. Hopefully that pectin if I can find that brand. I called a health food store about the agar agar and its nearly $8 for 2 ounces. I probably wont use it again either. Or at least for a while. I got talked down $50 on the price of this cake so Id prefer to keep my ingrediant cost down if I have the option. If not, Ill see about the substites. You guys are great. Thanks for all the comments.

I have a few questions about rolled buttercream. Ive been searching but cant really find answers to these questions.

Im going to start a new thread because it seems to be getting off topic.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:38am
post #19 of 21

'Certified Kosher Pareve' means that that the product is 'neutral': no meat and no dairy, hence, no gelatin.

nau__tical Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nau__tical Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:14pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

I do not know the exact reason you/she are omitting the gelatin, but I just wanted to let you know that marshmallows contain gelatin
Marshmallow Fluff doesnt contain gelatin but it does contain a form of egg whites, so depending on your dietary restrictions and your reasons, you should be aware of this.

For fondant recipes that call for gelatin I would substitute agar (it needs to be cooked first to dissolve the agar and get gelled before you can use it). Substitute powdered agar for gelatin 1:1 (1 Tbsp of agar flakes is equal to 1 tsp of agar powder). If you can only find flakes (that's what I usually use) you can also use a grinder to turn the agar flakes into powder so you don't need to convert amounts, if you prefer. You can find agar in health food stores (they usually keep it with the seaweed) or online.

Alternatively, you could try a recipe for fondant that doesn't call for gelatin. I found this one online a while back but haven't gotten around to trying it yet:

Vegan Fondant:

2 cups raw sugar
1 cup water
1/8th tsp cream of tartar

Using candy method bring ingredients to 238F. Finish as per fondant method.

You knead in any flavouring or colouring you want when the fondant is cooled and almost pure white. You can freeze this fondant for up to 3 months (let it thaw and re-knead it before rolling).

If you're new to candy making they recommend replacing 1/4th cup of the sugar with 1/4th cup corn syrup to help prevent crystallization (which wrecks the fondant). They also refer to this website for detailed instructions about how to make fondant (where there is another gelatin-free fondant recipe you might try):

http://www.candymaking.net/Fondants.html

I just found this in another thread.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:12pm
post #21 of 21

kosher gelatin is derived from fish. Just look for any brand that's kosher. Satin Ice, Wilton, Mills Lane (creative cutters) all are animal gelatin free. There are many others, but those 3 come to mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%