Sigh . . . Nfsc

Baking By CookieMeister Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 3:11pm by momg9

CookieMeister Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 11

I've made three batches today and they keep spreading! Butter is room temperature, cooling them before putting them in the oven, my baking powder isn't old. Is it just because I'm in a hurry today that they're freaking out on me!? My kitchen is such a bizarre vortex.

Any more suggestions? I'm about at my wits end. I think I'm going to try one more batch without the baking powder today before I call defeat.

10 replies
bbmom Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 11

Hmmmm...I never have any spreading with NFSC. I make the dough and cut them out, then chill(if in a hurry I freeze for 15min). Pop into oven on unchilled baking sheets. I have made with and without baking powder. I dont notice a difference.

bonniebakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 11

how long are you "cooling" them before putting them i the oven? Are you refrigerating or freezing the dough? before or after you've put the shapes - or both?

CookieMeister Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 11

Both. I'm doing the same thing I've done a million times. I don't know why today is giving me this trouble.

I almost have the baking powderless batch ready to go in the oven.

Yane Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 11

Same thing happened to me so I added a 1tbs of milk to the dough while mixing. Also put my dough on the fridge for about 20 monutes then roll the dough between parchment paper sheets, cut my cookies and bake them

CookieMeister Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:12am
post #6 of 11

I've been scratching my head, trying to figure out what I might have done differently. The only thing that could possibly have varied was the amount of flour. So I added more flour to my last batch and lo and behold - no spreading. Not sure how that happened - three times in a row. Oh, well, at least I'm back on track.

I think I'm going to get a kitchen scale - help with the accuracy on the flour.

shiney Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 11

I was having a horrible problem with them spreading. I had been decreasing the amount of flour, so I upped it back, and then after cutting cookies out and putting on pan, I put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes, and I'm not spreading anymore....okay, my cookies aren't spreading anymore. icon_wink.gif

windycitybaker Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 11

Could it be the butter you're using? I usually use only Land O Lakes unsalted but used some store brand butter over the weekend (had gotten it free as a promotion the store was running). When I set it out to come to room temperature, it was a lot softer at room temp than LOL, and sure enough, when I baked the cookies, they spread and puffed a lot!

The first time I made NFSC a couple weeks ago, I used LOL butter, and no baking powder. They came out perfectly flat, so that's what I'm going to do from now on. The only change I'll make is to add some extra vanilla or other flavoring to boost the taste of the NFSC recipe.

shiney Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 11

My recipe calls for shortning, so my tricks may not help

Tiffany29 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 11

When I make NFSC I decrease the flour about 1/4c. (5 3/4c.) and the baking pd to 1 1/2 tsp.
I Freeze in between cutting and baking. So far no issues with spreading.

momg9 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 11

The only time mine have spread is when I used a different kind of flour. I always use the restaurant flour from Sam's club or Costco. Last year I ran out and used gold medal from the grocery store. My cookies spread and the only difference was the flour. After I bought my usual flour, no more spreading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%