Hanging Diplomas In Shop?

Business By ccr03 Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 7:25pm by 11cupcakes

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 17

My sister and I are STILL in the process of getting everything ready for the opening. (Boy, talk about it being a long process).

Well, we had the discuss yesterday if whether or not we should hang out college degrees up once it's open. I said yes - that way customers can see we are educated and serious/this is a real business. She said she didn't want to look like a show off.

Would you put up your college degrees in your cake shop?

(Oh, I majored in Communication & Spanish - her in Political Science & Spanish. Her business is party equipment rental & supplies.)

16 replies
juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 17

Unless the degrees are directly related to the business, I would not put them in the shop.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 17

I agree. definitely hang you degree from culinary/pastry school, or any certificates from classes you've completed that relate to baking/decorating. I don't think your diplomas are showing off at all, just not relevant to your biz.

d_michelle95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d_michelle95 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Unless the degrees are directly related to the business, I would not put them in the shop.

This...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I agree. definitely hang you degree from culinary/pastry school, or any certificates from classes you've completed that relate to baking/decorating. I don't think your diplomas are showing off at all, just not relevant to your biz.

I agree with hanging any pastry/culinary certificates out in the front.

You could always hang your bachelor degree certificates in your office.

ccr03 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 17

Man! I hate to admit I'm wrong and she's right.

I guess I'll have to give this one to her....lol

Thanks for the input!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 17

I would say it depends. We are in a college town, and one that thinks pretty highly of itself at that ( in a good way). Everyone around here knows and brags about our congressman, the PhD. Now he has a PhD in theology, so it doesn't diddly to do with being a congressman. Your shop is your office. My lawyer has his undergraduate degree on his wall, and it is a Chemistry degree.

Personally, I like it. To me, it says we are serious people, and in a business full of dilletantes, that makes a difference.

ccr03 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Personally, I like it. To me, it says we are serious people, and in a business full of dilletantes, that makes a difference.

THat's EXACTLY my train of thought.

Sweet-Dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Dreams Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 17

I like diplomas hanging as well. However, I'm just really nosy and like seeing where everyone went to college! icon_lol.gif

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks for asking this question. I've been contemplating the past couple of weeks about haning my degree up above my desk. I have a little corner in my showroom/consult area that has my desk. I have a degree in business and thought it would be relevant to me owning and running the business. Not sure what I'll do now.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 17

I don't mind seeing diplomas on the wall. However, I think it should be in some way associated with the business you are running. Whenever I see diplomas that aren't associated with the business I always think in my head "Why should I care." (I tend to be pretty cut and dry though)

ccr03 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 17

MCC - I would definitely hang that up.

And really, both of our degrees are Bachelors of Arts, so it doesn't even have our majors on them. That is how most colleges do them - except for the Bachelors of Science in Business Administration because that is the degree.

It's funny, even though our degrees are not DIRECTLY connected to our respective business, boy have they helped! I don't think I/we would have the marketing plans (as little as they may be at this point) if I didn't have my degree.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:35am
post #13 of 17

I have my Serv Safe certificate on the wall in my lobby.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:33pm
post #14 of 17

I agree, if the degree pertains to the business by all means...

Jen icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:52pm
post #15 of 17

I don't have a degree--I do have some college credits but whatever--

My daughter on the other hand collects them, degrees I mean. It's not just a 'piece of paper'. That's a phrase that I used to use and I think I was ignorant to say that.

I mean if it says Bachelor of Arts--Or Bachelor of I Worked Dang Hard and Spent Years To Make the Grade That Earned Me This Degree commemorated by this piece of paper--Dude, hang it high and proud!

ccr03 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:10pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

don't have a degree--I do have some college credits but whatever--

My daughter on the other hand collects them, degrees I mean. It's not just a 'piece of paper'. That's a phrase that I used to use and I think I was ignorant to say that.

I mean if it says Bachelor of Arts--Or Bachelor of I Worked Dang Hard and Spent Years To Make the Grade That Earned Me This Degree commemorated by this piece of paper--Dude, hang it high and proud!

That is VERY much how I feel about my diploma. It is SO not just a piece of paper. I worked really hard for it and even more my parents worked SUPER hard so I could have it.

It's settled - they are going up! ;D

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:25pm
post #17 of 17

I think only business related certificates, degree would look appropriate.
You know when I do haircut I do not care if Jane has PhD in history, but I want to know her hairstyling experience, I want to see photos of her work.
I am not trying to say you do not need your degree, I just would not display it in cake shop if it's not directly related to your business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%