Covering In Fondant Question!

Decorating By CWIL Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm by catlharper

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 5

How do you guys cover a cake in fondant that does not show where the 2 layers meet? My partner and I have done a lot of cakes, but seems you can always tell where the layers meet! Don't know if this is something in the way we've baked or do you guys fill in that space or what? TIA

4 replies
ladycake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycake17 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 5

When I put my layers together, I take a board that is bigger than my cake, put it on top and push down pretty firmly. I will turn my cake a little and push again to get it even. Then I take my spatula and smooth the icing that has pushed out and if I have to I add some to fill in any gaps so that the whole side is even. When you roll out your fondant, be sure not to get it to thin because it shows every little imperfection. Hope I haven't confused you to much!! HTH

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 5

I hope I am understanding the question correctly...

"where the two layers meet"? like when you stack one cake on top of the other or are you talking about two layers of the same size that have been stacked and filled?

if you are talking about the filled layers and the ring that shows between the two layers..I put a heavier layer of bc....also when filling the two layers make sure that your bc goes over the sides of the cake so when you ice the side, it will fill in the gaps between the cakes...then I roll my fondant thick...ladicakes is right...too thin and every little imperfection will show. I also use my fondant smoother on the rolled out fondant while it is still on the counter (just make sure you keep turning the fondant and dusting the surface, so it won't stick), that way I don't have to press so hard once its on the cake to get it smooth, just basically to get it to adhere to the icing. I have also tried after icing and smoothing bc with paper towel method, letting my bc get hard in the refrigerator...and when ready to place the fondant on I use a spritzer bottle of water (lay paper towels under edge of cake so water isnt all over work surface, water and fondant..not a pretty thing) and let that set up for a bit so that it gets tacky, then lay my pre-smoothed fondant on the cake. I have trouble with too soft bc and smoothing fondant...it oozes out the bottom....not good when your bc is chocolate and your fondant is white, lol

If you are talking about where two stacked cakes meet....I just put a border

I looked at your gallery, your cakes are beautiful, I don't see anything showing in them....

Shades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shades Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 5

So if your seeing the two layers underneath the fondant, that usually means you don't have enough butter cream underneath, what you need is a thick layer of butter cream on the cake before you put the fondant on, if you see the layers underneath the butter cream put a little more around the edges where the two layers meet. Hope this helps!

Shades

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 5

Also not understanding what you mean by this....do you mean you are getting a small roll where you filled in between the layers of one tier or do you mean between the tiers or do you mean you see the edges of the cake layers? Since I don't know I'll take one at a time...

If you see a roll where buttercream filling splooshed out after you covered with fondant then your dam of buttercream may not have been stiff enough to hold it's shape. You also may have filled it too full and when the cake settled with the weight of the fondant then the excess splooshed out or you could not have given your cake enough settling time after stacking and crumbcoating (at least two hours and you may even consider a weight on top to help settle it...I don't do the weight thing but others do). After settling you will see any filling that has splooshed out and can smooth it again before covering with fondant.

If you mean between the tiers there is no way to mask that without some sort of decoration...I usually pipe a border or roll fondant to join the two tiers.

If you mean you see the cake edges then your dam is not close enough to the egde of the layer, your crumbcoat is too thin and your fondant covering is too thin.

I would have to see what you meant exactly to help any further but I hope something I said helped!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%