Sweet Butter?

Baking By eryka1842 Updated 28 Aug 2005 , 12:17am by auzzi

eryka1842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eryka1842 Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 3

The recipe I'm using calls for sweet butter, but isn't sweet butter just regular unsalted butter? I'm asking bc in her other recipes it says to use unsalted butter. The recipe itself doesn't call for any salt. So I guess my question is what am I supposed to use? Unsalted?

2 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 3

to me sweet butter is just regular butter. Land o lakes reads "sweet cream butter" on the package.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 12:17am
post #3 of 3

Definition:
"Butter
A solid fat made from churning the fat from milk or cream until it solidifies. It is a water-in-oil emulsion, comprised of over 80% milkfat, but also containing water in the form of tiny droplets, perhaps some milk solids-not-fat, with or without salt; the texture is a result of working/kneading during processing at appropriate temperatures, to establish fat crystalline network that results in desired smoothness (compare butter with melted and recrystallized butter); used as a spread, a cooking fat, or a baking ingredient. Unsalted butter is preferred over salted butter because it permits greater leeway in seasoning recipes to taste. Butter will keep, well wrapped, for 1 month in the refrigerator or for up to 6 months in the freezer. "

"Sweet butter
Unsalted butter"

"Sweet cream butter
Lightly salted butter "

Butter - Explore the History and Making of Butter.
http://webexhibits.org/butter/index.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%