No License, School Sale, Legal?

Decorating By jenny579 Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 1:55am by cylstrial

jenny579 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny579 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 12

My childrens school is having a "yard sale" you buy a 10 foot table and can set up for $20. I havent had a home inspection or anything. I dont want to start a business or anything. I do send things for bake sales and send the teachers snacks sometimes, so i know that the school isnt against home baked goods. It would be a one time thing. I was wanting to make some money for the holidays and thought this would be a great way to do it. Would this be legal? I am in NC

11 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 12

The best to answer this question accurately is your health dept. I suggest you call them and ask.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 12

You can ask organizer of the event, but I think it's ok. I know people that sell baked goods at community events sometimes and they are not lisenced.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 12

For the most part, there is a double standard with things like bake sales - i.e. the HD turns a blind eye. But yeah, you should probably call your local HD to make sure it's all legit.

(Granted, your grandmother didn't have to worry about that, but we live in the age of sue-anyone-for-any-reason-just-to-make-a-buck thumbsdown.gif )

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 12

Here I can't sell to anyone for resale but I can sell at Farmer's Markets etc when it's for individual use. People sell at bake sales all the time ad they're certainly not all licensed. I hate that I can't bake for my granddaughters school b-day party anymore. They have to take pre-packaged crap that I'd never buy to feed to them in my home. However, I AM welcome to bake and take to the faculty. I have yet to do that. I doubt I ever will. My dd's school (teaches 1st grade) isn't the warm comfy friendly place it was before they moved into the new warehouse building. Of course that has nothing to do with the original post. Sorry!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 12

We recently had in our local supermarket (a big chain) a bake sale to raise money for breast cancer....all home baked donated items and nobody blinked an eye...course our county is so small that we don't even have a Health Inspector.....he has to be imported (from another county) when needed.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 12

In TX bake sales for non-profits and schools are specifically excluded from having to be licensed...but you can't sell homemade baked goods at a craft show for your own profit here unless you're licensed. I don't know how it works in other states though.

CarolAnn, my kids go to two different schools in the same district. At the school next door to us where my oldest goes, they love homemade stuff. They ask for it (beg for it!) for the school fair and allow it for birthdays. At the school my younger daughter goes to they can only bring prepackaged stuff, or food from a licensed bakery that's individually packaged. I haven't wanted to make a fuss about why it's allowed at one school and not at the other, because they'd probably decide not to allow it at the other school either.

jenny579 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny579 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone I did contact the school and they said it was fine and I also got in touch with the lady who is organizing the whole thing and she also said go for it. She also thought it was a great idea. So I feel comfortable now. These days everything is different than when I was a child. Rules Rules Rules.. again thanks

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #9 of 12

many states have exemptions right in their statutes for just what you are talking about. In NJ, you can sell at church and school sales without a license.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_say_like_too_much

(Granted, your grandmother didn't have to worry about that, but we live in the age of sue-anyone-for-any-reason-just-to-make-a-buck thumbsdown.gif )

They even have this commercial called "Who Can I Sue", thats crazy!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:32am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny579

Thanks everyone I did contact the school and they said it was fine and I also got in touch with the lady who is organizing the whole thing and she also said go for it. She also thought it was a great idea. So I feel comfortable now. These days everything is different than when I was a child. Rules Rules Rules.. again thanks

I would rather hear that from the HD or someone who actually would know the laws concerning baked goods being sold for profit.

Just to cover yourself.

Good luck!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:55am
post #12 of 12

The thing is though - you live in NC. You should just get licensed because your home kitchen can be licensed there.

I don't mean in time for this bake sale or anything...I just mean you should go for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%