Does Choco-Pan Really Cover Twice As Much As Satin Ice?

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 12:30am by TammyH

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:46am
post #1 of 10

Was getting ready to order more fondant from GSA and I usually Satin Ice but noticed its tearing badly lately. I assumed it was operator error. icon_wink.gif

I saw the Choco-pan is double the money for the same amount but says it covers at double the rate of Satin Ice and wondered if that was true? Does anyone have experience with both? Also, how does the choco-pan taste? I was thinking of trying it instead of the Satin Ice - thx

9 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:09am
post #2 of 10

I have never used the choco pan to know how much it will cover, BUT I did get to taste it at ICES, and out of all the fondant samples that were there (they all were there) choco pan was HANDS DOWN my favorite as far as the taste. It was wonderful. I am anxious to see what others have to say about how it works!

CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 10

I was tempted to order the 'sample' pack to taste but since it's double the price, there's no point if it doesn't yield double the coverage, lol. (*cheap, cheap*)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 10

Chocopan is a delicious, but very, very fussy product.

It is inherently sticky, so it doesn't roll out well on just crisco, vinyl, or silicone. It really does seem to need PS under it to roll well, and even then it often begins to stick if you take too long.

Yes, you can roll it very thin, but of course, your cake surface has to be perfectly perfect, because every imperfection will show thru the thinner covering.

Smoothing it requires a deft hand, because the warmth of your hands causes it to go very soft, leaving it prone to dents and fingerprints.

I find that mixed with some Satin Ice, it makes a much more friendly product, but I'm too cheap to do that. I just make some modeling chocolate with candy melts and add that to the SI if I need a chocolate fondant.

HTH
Rae

CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 10

......and that was what I needed to know!! icon_smile.gif Thanks Rae, I think I will pass. I am not deft enough to risk a fussy product. Satin Ice is fairly easy to work with and sometimes I manage to screw that one up so I better not risk it - thanks icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 10

jennifermi has a great tasting semi homemade chocolate fonadant on her DVDs and it's great to work with.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with rae,
The first and only time I used ChocoPan, I had the same problems and the chocolate one is rock hard I cannot even knead it. I had to throw away the whole 2lbs.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:04am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

I agree with rae,
The first and only time I used ChocoPan, I had the same problems and the chocolate one is rock hard I cannot even knead it. I had to throw away the whole 2lbs.

If you put it in the microwave for few econds it becomes very pliable.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:21am
post #9 of 10

tiggy is right about it being easy to 'bring back to life' by putting it in the microwave, but only do it 3 seconds at a time. Not kidding ... 3 seconds.

And just to reaffirm something I shared some time ago, the lady who invented choco-pan told me to use p.sugar, not cornstarch, when rolling it out. Something about how the white chocolate in the choco-pan reacts better with the sugar than with the cornstarch.

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:30am
post #10 of 10

I dont know if they still do it, but a few years ago I ordered some Choco Pan that they colored to match a Sherwin-williams (sp?) paint. I just gave them the number and they mixed it for me. And it tasted super yummy!

TammyH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%