Why Does My Fondant Suddenly Suck?

Decorating By Jeep_girl816 Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 4:02am by cakesrock

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:14am
post #1 of 4

Ok, so my very first attempts at making my own fondant this summer turned out great, I thought "hey this is so much better than buying it and tastes better too!" I made a bridal shower cake for a girlfriend and a "Twilight" cake for my 16 year old cousin-no headaches. Now a couple months later I can't make fondant to save my soul. Same Recipe (Toba's) same ingredients same process and still a soft ripping/tearing mess both times I've had to made the late night emergency trip to Walmart to but Wilton stuff(yuck!). This is getting sooooo frustrating! Any advice/input would be much appreciated, thanks!

3 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:48am
post #2 of 4

SO in the summer you were fine and in the fall your not, right? More then likely it's the weather change. Yup, changes in heat, cold or humidity will effect your fondant. You may have to make some adjustments for you fondant for the change in weather. that's the only thing I can think of. HTH

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 4

Thanks! That's kind of what I was leaning towards, dang I hate having to tweak things though, never sure which way to go detective.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 4

I have had the same trouble and find MMF very finicky. I also find that it depends on the icing sugar you use. If I buy Walmart brand, I have to sift and knead a lot more. Also, really working with/kneading the MMF seems to help as well....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%