Edible Image?

Decorating By erilay Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 3:06am by erilay

erilay Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:04am
post #1 of 4

I am using an edible image for the 1st time. It is for a big event and I want it to look really nice and clean. I am thinking I might use fondant and place the image in the middle with a bit of piping gel. Are you going to see the edges? DO I have to do a border around the trim? Do they look better on butter cream? Any tips would be great. The cake is going to be plain with there logo on edible paper in the middle so I have no room for error.
Thanks ahead for any tips.

3 replies
up4mud Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:36am
post #2 of 4

I just tried edible image for the first time too. I placed one directly on blue buttercream, and one on a "plaque" of fondant/gumpaste mix. Either way, I think both were fine. It all depends on how neatly you trim the picture or words out of the frosting sheet whether or not you need a border. I didn't use a border for my images. I will say, I felt more confident putting it on the fondant instead of my perfectly iced buttercream. It was easier to position on fondant/gumpaste, then trim the fondant/gumpaste rather than directly on the cake. You might want to look at the tuorial Hello Kitty, it helped me a lot. Also check out my pics, I have a pic there of the cake I did. Good luck!

JenniferMI Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 4

Personally, I think they look WAY better placed on fondant. I just SLIGHTLY dampen the surface of the fondant with a damp paper towel and add the image. I like a tiny white border showing on the edges.

Jen icon_smile.gif

erilay Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:06am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much. I am going to look at your pictures and the tutorial. Thanks for the advice. Happy holidays.
Oh, I forgot the image has a lime green background. I don't think I can matchthe fondant to it perfectly. DO you think I should try to get it as close as I can or just do something totally different? I know it is hard to know with out seeing what I am talking about, but if you have advice feel free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%