Newbies Need A Hand Lol

Business By Crazycakelady Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 1:18am by kakeladi

Crazycakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazycakelady Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 4

My friend and I have decided to take the plunge, rent a kitchen and go legal. We are actively looking for just the right place and have started making the lists of all that we will need. That, my fellow cake friends, is where you all come in...We would like to know from those of you who have commerical ovens...pros and cons in regards to brands, baking type etc. Also, any helpful tips of things that we need to look out for would be most appreciated. We are located in California and just made this decision a few days ago. We already have tummy aches lol. Thanks so much in advance for your advice.... icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:07am
post #2 of 4

Go legal that is funny. I wish for a commercial kitchen too... I really look forwared to watching you grow.. and your process. I am so new too and quite frankly my head spins when I look at what it takes... but I can't keep giving them away forever.. I m going broke.. he he... good luck and much success!

CakeMom75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom75 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 4

Great topic - I am looking into this right now too. I first had to decide if I wanted gas or electric. Here gas costs more to install with vents, etc., but I think in the long run I'll be happier with gas as it's what I'm used to baking with at home. Also, I've learned that there are standard ovens and bakery depth ovens that will hold a full sheet cake pan. Just a couple of things I've learned in the last few weeks of research. I'm finding lots for sale on craigslist - you may want to check there. Blodgett (sp?) seems to be a good brand. Best of luck to you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:18am
post #4 of 4

.........any helpful tips of things that we need to look out for would be most appreciated. .......

Know the business end of a shop!! Learn ALL you can about keeping books; ordering; how to advertise for best results etc.

Have enough money in the bank to keep you going for 1 year w/o getting a penny income from the business.
Get a lawyer to draw up legal papers that state *EXACTLY* what is expected from each of you and what will be done if one wants out in 2, 5, or 10 months down the road. You are friends NOW, but running a business has a way of breaking up the best of friendships! icon_sad.gif

You need the biggest oven you can afford. Yes, Blodgett is a good brand (that's what I had). Get a commercial KA or similar small (7 qt.?); then a bigger one - Hobart maybe - about 20 or 30 qts. You need a rolling rack to put sheet pans on for cooling and storing finished cakes.
In the shop you need a 'back room' for storing supplies - there will be lots of them icon_smile.gif
In the kitchen you need room to store all your pans, cooling racks; tips & other decorating equipment. Take a look at any of the pix of shops that have been posted on this site and elsewhere. A couple of stainless steel tables to work on.
Don't get too large a shop. I made that mistake twice icon_sad.gif I thought I'd use the front for display but could have done w/o most of the footage. That of course makes the price go up. In CA if the shop is in a center usually they charge triple net for parking lot/lighting upkeep on top of monthly rent. When someone moves out of the center *you* (and any other shops in the center) have to pick up that amount icon_sad.gif
That's about all I can remember/think of right now. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%