First Time Doing A Large Showpiece Cake....any Suggestions?

Decorating By CakeMakar Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm by CakeMakar

CakeMakar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a cake for an event at my daughter's school. I don't get paid for the cake, but I get to count the hours towards the mandatory volunteer hours.
It's ballpark 300 guests and is a red sports car with a large green bow on the top.
For the most part its up to me... How many servings should I actually make? How do you get servings out of a shaped cake? How far ahead would you start?
Any other pointers would be great. My head is spinning at the task and it's not even due until April.

4 replies
lthiele Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:29am
post #2 of 5

PRAY! icon_lol.gif Sorry no help I know, so far out of my skill level - good luck! thumbs_up.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 5

mandatory volunteer - is'nt that an oxymoron?
But as far your question goes, maybe you can do a smaller showpeice (100 servings or so) and make up the difference with sheet cakes?
300 servings is a lot for one 3-D cake so hopefully someone else will chime in here with some better advice for you.

LisaMaeCakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 5

First, buy Mike McCrary's dvd on carving car cakes. He demonstates with a Mustang. Very good instructions! Good luck

CakeMakar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 5
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

mandatory volunteer - is'nt that an oxymoron?

Haha. Well, they actually call them "service hours" and they are required for the tuition discount - so I could pay full price and not have to do them. icon_biggrin.gif

I hate sheet cakes. I'd still have to decorate them, in addition to the car. I think I'd like to stay with one cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%