What Desserts Are You Making Thanksgiving (Besides Cake)?

Lounge By littlecake Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 11:12pm by cabecakes

littlecake Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 38

i'm still trying to decide...none of the fam likes cake anymore, they are so burnt out on it...ha ha.

37 replies
Deb_ Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 38

Funny we were just discussing this very thing.

I'm making Apple Pie, Pecan Pie and Chocolate Creme Brulee. We're all "caked out" too.

mommicakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 38

I haven't finalized the sweets menue yet, but I have to agree with the previous posts about "being all caked out" kids are on the fence, but, I'm not having any cake for dessert.

Maybe apple pie, lemon pie, (or maybe even tarts) crispie treats in choc. maybe. pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies.

Mike1394 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:06am
post #4 of 38

I'll be more than tired of seeing Cheesecakes so that is out. I have some cherries in the freezer from this summer. Maybe some individual puff pastry pie thingies. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

CakesByJen2 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #5 of 38

I always make pecan pies, and usually something chocolate (cake, brownies, or truffles). I've made pumpin pie a couple of times, but I don't like, so i usually don't make it. The last couple of years I've taken my mother's pumpkin bread recipe that she made every year and dressed it up into a cake, making 2 9" layers with a cream cheese mouse in between and on top.

This year I think I'm going to scale it back, and just make the pecan pies, but my daughter says we have to have either pumpkin pie or pumpkin cake, so we'll see....

I don't mind the work, I just don't need to eat all that!

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:28am
post #6 of 38

No cake. Actually I never have a cake for Thanksgiving. Anyway, pumpkin cheesecake, cheesecake with cherry topping (and yes, it is canned cherrry topping), and pecan tarts.

Mike1394 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:30am
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

No cake. Actually I never have a cake for Thanksgiving. Anyway, pumpkin cheesecake, cheesecake with cherry topping (and yes, it is canned cherrry topping), and pecan tarts.

Got your pumpkin yet? If not you better not wait to long. Stores around the D are running low. The Krogers close to me has only the small cans left, and not many of those.

Mike

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:38am
post #8 of 38

Actually this is my non-cooking Thanksgiving and I'm only cooking, cause my college girl decided to come to my house, instead of her dad's house. So, it's a Cheesecake Factory frozen pumpkin cheesecake bought from Sam's Club. The pecan tarts & regular cheesecake will be all scratch (except the cherry topping), down to the crust.

Ohara Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #9 of 38

The usual pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and one still undecided desert.

Mike....can I have just one of your little cherry pastries? I love cherry but I'm the only one here that likes it so I never have it. Sounds yummy!

Ruth0209 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:05am
post #10 of 38

That's funny. I never make cake for Thanksgiving. I'll make pumpkin pie and a lemon chiffon cheesecaky thing my DH loves. Others are bringing apple pie and Razzleberry pie. I have about a billion cakeballs, so I'll put those out, too.

mkolmar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:13am
post #11 of 38

I'm making part of the dinner and all of the dessert. No cake for us please, so sick of cake. It will be a crunchy caramel apple pie, creme brulle and crepes with cherry, lemon or honey-pumpkin mousse filling.

prterrell Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:14am
post #12 of 38

To me Thanksgiving just isn't a "cake" holiday. Will be making sweet potato pie, pecan pie, and mince pie.

Cakerer Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:28am
post #13 of 38

I'm thinking of making something totally different, like a pineapple casserole or something along those lines. My family isn't caked out, because I don't usually bake for them (icon_sad.gif) but I totally am. The smell of buttercream makes me queasy right now...ugh. (btw, not preggers)

ladyellam Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:47am
post #14 of 38

Pumpkin Creme Brulee (it tastes like pumpkin pie and whipped cream together), pecan pie, sweet potato pie and blueberry pie or crumble

Lisabellemarie Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:01am
post #15 of 38

We're having a cheesecake bar at my house - I'm making a bunch of different mini cheesecakes (regular, lemon, and chocolate at least, bet we'll see what else I get talked into) and all kinds of different toppings (strawberries, of course, and cherries - canned pie filling for me too - and apples and ganache and whipped cream, etc). And ice cream, apparently, for sundaes.

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:37am
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

To me Thanksgiving just isn't a "cake" holiday. Will be making sweet potato pie, pecan pie, and mince pie.

LOL! I don't think it is either. Now Christmas, there will be at least one cake, but a dessert cake, not one that I can decorate.

ziggytarheel Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:52am
post #17 of 38

I've made this several times and it is wonderful. I wish I had a picture to post, because it is lovely too!

Upside Down Southern Apple Pie

Ingredients:
1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter, softened
2/3 cup pecan halves
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
Pastry for 9-inch double-crust deep-dish pie
6 medium Rome apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lemon, strained to remove seeds
1 teaspoon flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Spread butter in bottom of 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Arrange pecan halves in pie plate, rounded side down, and gently press into butter. Sprinkle 2/3 cup brown sugar over pecans and press firmly onto sides and bottom. Place bottom pie crust on top of pecan-sugar mixture.
In a bowl, combine remaining brown sugar, lemon juice, flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and chopped pecans. Sprinkle mixture over apples and toss gently. Spoon apple filling into pie crust. Put top crust on. Press edges together, then flute and pinch top to let steam escape. (You may want to place the pie on a baking sheet, because the brown sugar may bubble over the side when it cooks.)
Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until apples are soft and crust is golden brown. Cool 5 minutes, then flip on a plate.
If using smaller apples sold in bags, you will probably need at least 8.

KKC Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:23pm
post #18 of 38

My family never gets tired of cake but we always have a variety of desserts...I'll be making 2 German Chocolate Cake(family favorite), 8 sweet potato pies, Sweet Potato Cheesecake, Strawberry Cheesecake, Italian Cream Cake, Chocolate poundcake, Cream Cheese Pound cake, Chocolate Sour Cream Cake, Rum Cake, Chocolate Chip Pie, Red Velvet Cake, Carrot Cake and last but not least a Key West Crunch Pie. We have so many people come for Thanksgiving that we have to have a bunch of sweets!

Deb_ Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:45pm
post #19 of 38

Ziggy that sounds delicious. Do you use your normal pie crust or more of a "cookie" type recipe for the crust?

KKC....that's about how many Christmas Eve desserts my family has. I have about 50 for that and I can't wait I love it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

mim1106 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:50pm
post #20 of 38

I don't like any of the traditional fruit pies, so my mom always used to make a frozen chocolate pie just for me. That's what I will be making along with the pumpkin pie and the chocolate pecan pie (for my son)

ziggytarheel Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:03pm
post #21 of 38

I decided yesterday that my New Year's resolution will be to overcome my fear of making pie crust. icon_smile.gif

So, yes, it is a pasty crust, but mine comes out of the long red box!

It is delicious, pretty easy and so pretty when you line those pecans so nicely and it is presented on a beautiful plate. My dad even made it one year!

KKC Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:12pm
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Ziggy that sounds delicious. Do you use your normal pie crust or more of a "cookie" type recipe for the crust?

KKC....that's about how many Christmas Eve desserts my family has. I have about 50 for that and I can't wait I love it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

icon_lol.gif I think my favorite part of Thanksgiving and Christmas are the desserts icon_redface.gif I love the holidays and family together. I'm so excited icon_biggrin.gif

MystiqueFire Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:54pm
post #23 of 38

my family is Italian so we never had cake on thanksgiving... ever.... so it's kind of funny to hear that everyone is "caked out" =D

We usually have cookie trays, pumpkin pie, ricotta pie, sfogliatelli, strufoli, and pecan pie. Ricotta pie is probably on the top 5 best things I've ever eaten, if you havent tried it, you should. =)

Although this year, I'm actually considering making a cake because i saw one in a magazine that looked so good!

MystiqueFire Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:56pm
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

My family never gets tired of cake but we always have a variety of desserts...I'll be making 2 German Chocolate Cake(family favorite), 8 sweet potato pies, Sweet Potato Cheesecake, Strawberry Cheesecake, Italian Cream Cake, Chocolate poundcake, Cream Cheese Pound cake, Chocolate Sour Cream Cake, Rum Cake, Chocolate Chip Pie, Red Velvet Cake, Carrot Cake and last but not least a Key West Crunch Pie. We have so many people come for Thanksgiving that we have to have a bunch of sweets!

I hope you've started baking already icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm
post #25 of 38

I hardly ever cake for holidays as funny as that sounds from a cake decorate. I guess part of it is because I love making other desserts, but it is hard to do at home with just a few of us to eat.

I am thinking I am going to do a Pecan Tart I saw the other day and those cute little pumpkin pies that someone posted the other day. Maybe a cheese cake, since that is my weakness.

Pookie59 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #26 of 38

Cake rarely shows up at our dessert table. But, lots of pie, a cheesecake or two and maybe a cookie tray. As far as I know, we're having

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
Cherry Pie (with streusel topping)
Pumpkin Pie
Coconut Meringue Pie
Chocolate Meringue Pie
French Silk Chocolate Pie
Pecan Pie (maybe) or pecan tarts

...and who knows what else may show up. I recently found a recipe for something called Tar Heel Pie, so that's a maybe or perhaps a banana blueberry pie. All depends on how much time I have (and no I'm NOT making ALL the pies - this is a collaborative effort).

KKC Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiqueFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

I hope you've started baking already icon_lol.gif

I plan on starting today...last year I had about 30 orders to fulfill for Thanksgiving on top of the desserts I had to make for my family and I was up 3 days straight...no sleep in between. Needless to say, I spent the whole Thanksgiving Day sleep...i woke up to eat and then right back to sleep icon_redface.gif

Deb_ Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:38pm
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiqueFire

my family is Italian so we never had cake on thanksgiving... ever.... so it's kind of funny to hear that everyone is "caked out" =D

We usually have cookie trays, pumpkin pie, ricotta pie, sfogliatelli, strufoli, and pecan pie. Ricotta pie is probably on the top 5 best things I've ever eaten, if you havent tried it, you should. =)

Although this year, I'm actually considering making a cake because i saw one in a magazine that looked so good!

Love Ricotta pie.....silly thing about it is for some reason I only make it for Easter. Ya know how you relate certain foods for certain holidays......I don't know why I don't make it more often. icon_rolleyes.gif

costumeczar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:17pm
post #29 of 38

I'm going to be making a flourless chocolate torte with tangerine mousse...It's so good, I made it about 8 years ago for the first time, and all the women at the dinner were circling the table afterward asking for the recipe.

tx_cupcake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #30 of 38

Well, my grandmother's German chocolate cake always makes an appearance, and I would never dream of trumping her cake with one of mine.

I'm doing a dessert bar, a la Amy Atlas (http://amyatlas.com/index.php/main/portfolio/), with Grandma's cake as the centerpiece, then surrounding it by pedestals of mini red velvet cuppies, spice cake lollipops, mini chocolate pecan pies and mini maple pumpkin pies.

I'm doing everything mini and individual size so that everyone can take goodies home with them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%