Using Boxed Cake Mix

Decorating By ideasinicing Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 1:57am by Adevag

ideasinicing Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 9

I have a small business of decorating cakes and I often use boxed cake mix. I find that I get a moister product and it is less work giving me more time to decorate. This might sound silly but I almost feel guilty using the mix. I have a diploma in baking and pastry and I used the stuff in a box. Do you think that is alright? I haven't had a complaint about it yet but I feel if people knew that they wouldn't think my cakes are worth it? What do you think?

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 9

Interesting you should ask. This topic comes up regularly. Sometimes it's gotten pretty intense. Be prepared for some folks to make weird remarks and be impatient and act like this is an extension of those other threads.

All that to say, Yes I think there is a stigma on cake mix and because of this exact post where you're using the words 'guilt' and your cake being possibly 'not worth it' etc. simply confirms my assertions that there is indeed a stigma.

So you gotta decide for yourself how to proceed--overcome these feelings by realizing tons of food is pre-measured and pre-prepared. Or go for 'scratch'. "Scratch being a somewhat ambiguous term in itself.

Maybe JanH or somebody else smart will be around to list a bunch of previous threads.

But I currently use both scratch and mix. If my son gets his way I'll do all scratch but I'm still using cake emulsifier. (albert uster imports)

Happy caking!!!

icer101 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 9

i don,t feel guilty about any cake i make for anyone. i use box with enhancers . and make from scratch.. if you feel guilty.. then .. i think.. you should go all scratch.. if that is what you think your clients want.. and they are not getting.. there are several threads on this subject. and i mean some nasty ones.. someone will see this and lead you to it.. hth

costumeczar Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 9

No offense to the OP if this is a legitimate question, but I think that you should have at least 250 posts registered before you're allowed to ask a question like this! It always seems to be one of the first posts people make...hmmmmm...

ideasinicing Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 9

Being a newbie I had no idea this was such a hot topic. I've viewed some of the posts....perhaps I should have done some research before posting. I suppose cake is cake! I will continue doing what works best for me and from my tiny kitchen at home, and looking after a 4 month old boxed cake it is!

JanH Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 9

Here you go, pages & pages of previous opinions on this topic:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-596517-.html

HTH

costumeczar Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 9

Oh, Good Lord, if you have a 4 month old how can you find time to do any kind of baking? Good for you!

peg818 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 9

my feeling is make the best cake you can make, if you like the box best then go for it. If you like scratch best then go for it. Personally i use both, scratch and box, it depends on what i'm making.

Adevag Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:57am
post #9 of 9

I don't think it matters which way you decide to make your cakes, but if you choose to continue with the boxed cake mixes I hope you will stop feeling guilty about it and instead stand behind your cakes. I read it as if you are almost "hiding" the fact that your cakes are from a box and scared that people will find out. I don't think it is such a big deal and I don't think it is anything for you to worry about! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%