Using An Airbrush Successfully. Painting Knowledge Req'd?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 3:35am by ShopGrl1128

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 4

The next toy on my list is an airbrush. Aside from immersing myself in all the features that the different airbrushes have, and deciding which one to buy, I'm wondering if I need a knowledge of painting in order to airbrush successfully?

I do not have any painting background, so I'm not really sure about things like shading and contouring, which are best achieved using an airbrush. I wonder if my lack of knowledge in that field of art will limit my abilities with an airbrush?

TIA!

3 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't say you have to have knowledge of painting, but be sure and practice alot.

NOt much uglier than a badly airbrushed cake.

Every time I look at a cake with a bad airsbrushing job it takes me back to my junior year in HS. This kid a year older than me had the ugliest car with tacky, homemade airbrushing on the door panels (it WAS the eighties. Every time I saw that car I would always think, 'Ugh, the side car'.

When I see cakes with ugly airbrushing I always think, 'Ugh, the side car'.

If any of you know a Julia Plevnia in Michigan, please remind her of the side car from high school.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #3 of 4

I didn't have one ounce of experience before getting my first one. You have to practice, just using it you get used to handling it and knowing what it can do. (my favorite thing is still just spraying pearl all over a cake!) icon_biggrin.gif

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:35am
post #4 of 4

Airbrushing is not that hard, I bought a little airbrush on ebay for about $70.00 and it is really easy to use.

Before doing ANYTHING make sure you cover your work area with plastic or something, because the food coloring will get everywhere!

Practice, practice, practice...on a piece of paper or something else so you know how strong or weak the preasure is.

Use a face mask, like the ones the painters use otherwise you will breath in the color and end up with a colored tongue and colored nose (ask me how I now that icon_rolleyes.gif )

Ah yeah, no matter how much you clean afterwards you will find the color in the most unsuspected places MONTHS after you airbrush! icon_mad.gif

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%