Can I Make A Cake Any Uglier?

Decorating By JuneBugBaby Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 2:20am by JenniferMI

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 35

I am new to the cake world, I've made cakes in a square pan and just did the tub of icing on it and put a few candles but a lady down the road makes awesome cakes and I thought to myself... I can do that! UM... NO... My first attempt I didn't realize I need more than one layer of the same size square or circle so I got this super thin bottom square with this little bitty top circle... it looked like a button on a square! thumbsdown.gif The second one I thought I had worked out what I was going to do, I went and bought two 8" x 3" pans and stacked them and that part worked out better but I made my icing too thin so it kinda fell off the side of the cake and then I made the top mix thicker but I couldn't get it smooth so I got this tall red circle cake that I cut out black and white fondant circles to put on and it looks like crap. I am so disappointed in myself! I know it's only my second attempt but it sucks!! Does it get better? Or am I just not cut out for great looking cakes? icon_sad.gif

34 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 35

Just like anything else, practice makes perfect. You learned from your "too short cake" experience and made a taller one. You also learned how to make icing that is too thin, so now you have to make it thicker. Don't give up, just keep trying different things out. Here's a comforting thought, it can only get better from here! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 35

I'd strongly suggest buying a Wilton 2010 Yearbook, Wilton Celebrate With Fondant, and/or some of the Wilton Course 1,2,3,4 books. Most, if not all, of these can be found online or at JoAnn or Michael's.

Better yet, take some Wilton classes at one of the craft stores.

You'll waste a lot of time and product--and have more failures than successes--unless you learn the proper procedures.

You can read thousands of threads here, too, but step-by-step pictures, hands on practice of the right way, and/or demos will get you going in the right direction a lot faster.

You can also search youtube.com for cake decorating clips.

Good luck
Rae

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 35

You have only made two cakes. Things will get better. The lady down the road may have been making cakes for years, or may have gone to college for this.
Have you taken any decorating classes? I would start there. Remember this is like everything else, practice, practice, practice. Even the Pro's make mistakes, they have just learned how to cover them up. icon_wink.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 35

Yes, it does get better! You can't expect your second cake to be a masterpiece. That is an unrealistic expectation. Be patient and kind to your self, learn from your mistakes. Read all you can, learn all you can. You will get there!

It takes patience, and you have to keep pushing even when something comes out bad.

JuneBugBaby Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:35am
post #6 of 35

Thanks for all the encouragement! I feel better now! I am going to sign up for a class in January. There is one in December but I've got too much going on that month. So hopefully going through the class will help. I am going to take your advice and buy a book to work with until my class starts! That is my husbands issue with my new venture is that I am spending a lot of money on cakes, that we don't need to eat!! icon_rolleyes.gif I gave half of my "ugly cake" away tonight! haha... my neighbor liked it, although ugly, it still tastes good!!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 35

Don't be discouraged!! Take a look in my gallery at my first cake....with the gaudy purple bow and red rose daisies. I was completely deflated...this was after investing several hundred dollars in cake supplies and toys (and a very expensive new range/oven my husband surprised me with) to indulge my newly discovered "creative outlet". I thought YIKES!!! but I kept persevering and am getting better bit by bit. I live too far away for cake decorating classes to be a viable options so the internet has been my best cake decorating friend. Youtube has some amazing video tutorials
(serious cakes, toedna, Elaine McGregor on Food Court etc etc) as well as all the great help here on CC...If you enjoy it, keep at it, it can only get better

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 35

I keep telling my students, this is not as easy as t looks like. It's like learning to write. It takes years and you will keep learning forever. Your skills will improve with practice. And in a matter of one year you will see a huge difference. But the learning will continue to grow ad years go by..
Just have fun with it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 35

This was my first cake. You'll get there.
LL

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 35

If you're trying to save mone (and who isn't) look for books at your local library and clip coupons for the wilton kits at michaels.

as far as leftover cakes: it took my wilton class on thursday nites and took the cake to work for TGIF I was very popular icon_lol.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 35

Nannie- I did the same when I took the courses. LOL

mmgiles Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 35

I work in a small office and sometimes people are all caked out. So I started taking it to the offices next door, they appreciate it. I've even been known to show up at my neighbor's door with a dessert just to get it out of my house.

JuneBugBaby Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 35

I am going to attempt another cake for thanksgiving. My husband said if it looked bad we could just take banana pudding! haha... icon_lol.gif I DO know how to make that!! haha...

mmgiles - UM... your first cake is awesome compaired to mine. I wont even post what mine looked like. Did you do that all on your own or was that one you did in a class? I think I need more cake pans!

tonedna Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:59am
post #14 of 35

Here is my first cake! It's been a fun ride.. icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif
LL

mmgiles Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:29pm
post #15 of 35

I did it on my own with some cakecentral help I'm sure. This cake was even licked by the dog right before the party. I've come a long way too.

JuneBugBaby Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:15am
post #16 of 35

OMG did you tell anyone the dog got a bite? haha.. too funny! icon_lol.gif I got all the stuff to make another cake tomorrow for thanksgiving so hopefully it will turn out okay. I am going simple that way I wont have so much to mess up.

princelyess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princelyess Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:50am
post #17 of 35

My dogs have helped themselves to their share of my cakes (mostly frosting, which they absolutely love!) They have even gotten ahold of parchment bags with frosting in them and chewed several tips absolutely flat!!! EVERYONE Loves Cake! LOL

icon_wink.gif

mmgiles Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #18 of 35

The dog just licked the frosting before I added the fondant and since it was my first cake I didnt realize it would take so long to make a cake I was late for the party. I just scraped off that area of frosting and put some back. I didnt tell anyone until after they ate it lol. It was just family anyway. I know they've had worse.

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #19 of 35

I have been doing cakes for the last 6 years and Ill tell you my first cakes looked like for 4 year old did them. There so scary the pictures are tucked in a box under the bed far from anyone to see. I remember that I made a winnie the pooh cake for my daughter. Poor pooh looked like an orange pig. At the time I thought it was great but wow looking back it was horrible. LOL it gets better with time and practise. I took all the Wilton classes and I have learned even more then that right here on CC. There is so much free information out there. Keep going you will get it. My only suggestion is get good practice time in before you start to sell cake. Don't promise anything to a client until you have done a few of what ever it is such as fondant covered or stacked cakes. I had to learn that the hard way. I promised a fondant covered wedding cake when I had only done it once in my life at the time. Wow that was a complete nightmare. The bride ended up with a butter cream base icing and fondant decor because I just could pull it off at the time. And a free cake!!. When you get to the point of people asking you to make cakes and sell and they will proceed with great caution. LOL keep learning and keep going you will get better! icon_biggrin.gif

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:16am
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I'd strongly suggest buying a Wilton 2010 Yearbook, Wilton Celebrate With Fondant, and/or some of the Wilton Course 1,2,3,4 books. Most, if not all, of these can be found online or at JoAnn or Michael's.

You'll waste a lot of time and product--and have more failures than successes--unless you learn the proper procedures.

You can read thousands of threads here, too, but step-by-step pictures, hands on practice of the right way, and/or demos will get you going in the right direction a lot faster.

Good luck
Rae

Unless you plan to become a pro - I have to disagree here - I've never taken a cake class or had any lessons other than what I've learnt myself, here & Youtube.

All I can say, is, if it truly interests you, you WILL get round the probs, patience & perserveriance is the key. You are definitely in the right place here on CC as there are loads of lovely cakesters ready to help. If you need help, just be as detailed as poss in your posts and the cakesters will guide you.

Check out Youtube on baking/frosting/stacking - everything! You will be proud you've 'taught' yourself!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:06pm
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg147

Quote:

Good luck
Rae

Unless you plan to become a pro - I have to disagree here - I've never taken a cake class or had any lessons other than what I've learnt myself, here & Youtube.

All I can say, is, if it truly interests you, you WILL get round the probs, patience & perserveriance is the key. You are definitely in the right place here on CC as there are loads of lovely cakesters ready to help. If you need help, just be as detailed as poss in your posts and the cakesters will guide you.

Check out Youtube on baking/frosting/stacking - everything! You will be proud you've 'taught' yourself!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

I gotta say to this, this will change from person to person. I am a teacher and there are 2 kind of people, ones like you, that they can learn by watching Youtubes and reading, and the ones that need someone beside them to help. Some people learn faster than others, Some might need the help of a teacher and watching a youtube tutorial a lot of times before they succeed.

That's the reason I posted my Youtube videos, so the students that had a hard time, could go and watch them over and over again. Some people have the hands for it, others need to practice more. At the end of the day all can be learned with practice.

I say, if you are having trouble, a basic course wouldn't harm you. It might make your life a bit easier.
Edna icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:17pm
post #22 of 35

Oh my gosh, Edna, I love it that you posted your first cake! Although I will point out to your adoring fans that your buttercream top actually ALREADY looked pretty darn smooth! icon_wink.gif

tonedna Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:19pm
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Oh my gosh, Edna, I love it that you posted your first cake! Although I will point out to your adoring fans that your buttercream top actually ALREADY looked pretty darn smooth! icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gif The top was ok..the sides icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif ... icon_lol.gif Why you think I did all that piping! icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:14am
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg147

Quote:

Good luck
Rae

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

I gotta say to this, this will change from person to person. I am a teacher and there are 2 kind of people, ones like you, that they can learn by watching Youtubes and reading, and the ones that need someone beside them to help. Some people learn faster than others, Some might need the help of a teacher and watching a youtube tutorial a lot of times before they succeed.

That's the reason I posted my Youtube videos, so the students that had a hard time, could go and watch them over and over again. Some people have the hands for it, others need to practice more. At the end of the day all can be learned with practice.

I say, if you are having trouble, a basic course wouldn't harm you. It might make your life a bit easier.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Sorry for keep quoting! I will not argue with the goddess of cake! Edna, like you say each is different - that's just my way. But can I add, a lot of what I've learnt is by watching you on YouTube!! So thank you so much for your great tutorials, your knowledge is passed farther than you think and I'm sure there are an awful lot of people who owe some great cakes/designs to you! thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:30pm
post #25 of 35

Keep plugging away.....

My very best wishes -

Jen icon_smile.gif

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:55pm
post #26 of 35

Junebugbaby - You have got to look at my pics in my album! I have my 1st cakes as well. Look at my little mermaid cake and just laugh out loud. It will make you feel so much better. Oh, Spidey is pretty bad too. It will get better w/ every cake you make.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:23pm
post #27 of 35

It just takes more and more practice. I am still horrified some days at what my cakes end up looking like!! Fortunately, my friends are willing to eat some pretty ugly cake.
I haven't taken any courses (none available where I live) but I just keep trying new stuff. Don't give up!

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #28 of 35

JuneBug! I'm still with you in the infancy stages, but I will say that it is really rewarding just to see the improvement from cake to cake. Good Luck!

CC is an amazing resource...so much talent all in one place and all so willing to help...use it!!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:45pm
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgiles

I did it on my own with some cakecentral help I'm sure. This cake was even licked by the dog right before the party. I've come a long way too.

Did the dog like it? icon_eek.gificon_razz.gif

I can't stop laughing! icon_cry.gif

hpcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hpcakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:18pm
post #30 of 35

My first cake looked like this so I know it had to look better than this.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%