Letting Cakes Sit Out - Uncovered?

Decorating By AngelaM Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm by Brendabeeper

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 8

Ok so maybe this is a silly question but I'm somewhat new to caking. When your cake is covered in BC or fondant and does not need to be refrigerated, what do you do when it doesn't fit under a cake stand cover? Square and stacked cakes for example. Do you just let them sit out on the counter uncovered? Just push a piece of plastic wrap over the "cut" part of the cake where the cake itself is exposed once you've started eating it? We don't have a large family so when I make a cake for us at home it lasts us a good 4 or 5 days. I've been afraid to make a cake that won't fit under my cover since I don't know the answer, but I'm dying to try my hand at some bigger better cakes!

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 8

Put it in a cake box that fits the size of the said cake.

AngelaM Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 8

But what about really tall cakes?

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 8

Before serving fondant cakes, I do not put them in the fridge so that I can avoid the problem of condensation. However, once the cake has been served I then cut it up into smaller pieces, put into tupperware and stored in the fridge. At that point I don't care if someone's piece comes out of the fridge with a little condensation on it.

HTH.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 8

I cut into large chunks.....enough for maybe 4-5 servings. Wrap in plastic/cling wrap, then into a plastic bag and fz extra; keep one piece in the frig.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 8

I have bought a Large Clear storage box, I put the lid top side down on the table, set the cake with cake board on top of that lid then put the clear storage box over the cake. This is so nice to keep a cake fresh when done the day before delivery, and as a added plus you can see the cake and show it off. I have even delivered the cakes this way, but make sure you hold the cake on the bottom to support the lid.

AngelaM Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks to everybody for your replies.

Brendabeeper that's an AWESOME idea! You've completely solved my problem, thank you so much! icon_biggrin.gif

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 8

you are so welcome Glad to share some information, I get so much help off this site. LOVE IT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%