Bakery Kitchen Layout

Business By vernnaliz Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 12:25am by Mike1394

vernnaliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vernnaliz Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 2

I am an engineering PhD student taking a class for Work Measurement and Design. I actually love baking as a hobby and would never really setup a bakery because I don't like the business part of it. However, my dissertation advisor knows I love baking so he suggested I design a small bakery kitchen that follows all the principles of lean manufacturing as well as ergonomics for my class project. To this end I have spent the last few days searching for equipment on the internet. I have found dozens of large floor mixers that would work very well but have left me with some questions.
1. How do you take the batter out and into pans without back or arm injuries?
2. When making things like genoise or buttercream with egg whites, it is important to cook the yolks or the whites over a steaming pot while whisking all the time to prevent the eggs from cooking on the bowl. I have noticed that this makes my hands tired. I only make one batch of the recipe and cannot imagine how difficult it would be for someone making larger batches. This could lead to musculoskeletal disorders in the long run. Is there any mixer that would warm and beat the eggs at the same time? Or some other utensil that does this?

1 reply
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernnaliz

I am an engineering PhD student taking a class for Work Measurement and Design. I actually love baking as a hobby and would never really setup a bakery because I don't like the business part of it. However, my dissertation advisor knows I love baking so he suggested I design a small bakery kitchen that follows all the principles of lean manufacturing as well as ergonomics for my class project. To this end I have spent the last few days searching for equipment on the internet. I have found dozens of large floor mixers that would work very well but have left me with some questions.
1. How do you take the batter out and into pans without back or arm injuries?
2. When making things like genoise or buttercream with egg whites, it is important to cook the yolks or the whites over a steaming pot while whisking all the time to prevent the eggs from cooking on the bowl. I have noticed that this makes my hands tired. I only make one batch of the recipe and cannot imagine how difficult it would be for someone making larger batches. This could lead to musculoskeletal disorders in the long run. Is there any mixer that would warm and beat the eggs at the same time? Or some other utensil that does this?

1. Cake batter is easy wrestle around 500#s of bread dough every night. Yep, production baking is NOT for the faint of heart.
2. If you want to heat your egg whites while in the bowl. Then I would suggest a small handheld torch. The ones you can get at any home improvment store.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%