Betty Crocker White Cake Mix?

Decorating By cakefort Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 5:11pm by playingwithsugar

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 3

I am using undoctored boxed mixes for my cake classes. I always use DH, but on the advice of the instructor, I bought a BC cake. I wanted to see how the white cake compares in taste to the DH white. I found the BC to have a funny taste...almost like something went bad. I suppose it is possible that my eggs were bad, but since I've been using the same extra large carton of eggs with no problems, I am assuming it is the mix. I actually find it to be an unpleasant taste. Does anyone else think so or is it just me? I'm reluctant to use BC again!

2 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 3

I don't know if I've ever tried BC white but I use the other flavors with no problems.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 3

When I recently did the dark red and white wedding cake (in my gallery), I chose to do a couple of flavors. Not having a TNT scratch white cake recipe, I opted for boxed mix. Let me digress - about 2 years ago, I compared the performance of all three major brands available in the markets near me, I became a Betty-Girl all the way.
I do not regret using a mix that day. I introduced it as Bridal White cake, and was told by someone who works in a bakery that it was the best white cake they ever tasted. I did nothing to doctor it, but I did bake it at 325 instead of 350, because I used a 14"x3" round pan, and didn't want the center to be raw while the outside crisped. I also allowed 2 egg yolks into the batter, to help bind the crumb a little tighter while not discoloring the crumb.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%