Dark Colors And Mmf

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm by tootie0809

tootie0809 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 4

I can make a beautiful light-colored MMF. I love working with MMF, BUT if I have to color it a dark color like red, black, forest green, burgundy, etc., it absolutely turns into this mess of a glob. No matter what I do, I cannnot get it to behave like regular MMF that has a lighter color or no color to it. I've tried adding the color when before I add the powdered sugar when I'm mixing a batch. I've tried coloring it after I have made the batch. I've tried coloring a small ball and then adding it to the larger amount I need. Nothing works. I can color Satin Ice a dark color just fine and it keeps its consistency, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to maintain the consistency of MMF with dark colors added. I'm ready to scream! I had a dark burgundy and dark forest green cake this weekend and I just about lost it several times trying to get the colors right and still have a workable fondant. It was dry, cracking, tore, everything! I've added more shortening, glycerine, water. I just don't know what to do. Any MMF experts out there who know the trick to coloring it dark and getting it to still work properly? Thanks!

3 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 4

MMF will seperate and break when too much color is added.
When I need a dark color I add a little at a time until it gets almost the right color and then let it rest at least over night, the colors will darken and develop over time.
Dark Pink >> Red
Dark Grey >>Black
Green + Blue + Brown>>Forest Green
Equal Parts Red and Green >>Brown (adjust red and green for different tones of green)
Dark Pink + Dark Grey >>Burgandy
Royal Blue + Dary Grey >>Navy Blue

The secret is not adding too much color and letting it sit.
I made some black and red mmf last Wednesday (started off pink and grey) and come Friday when I needed it, it was black and red.
I'll try to attach a pic. BRB.

CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 4

Here it is.
The black and red started out as a dark grey and a dark pink, this is how they turned out after sitting for a few days.

tootie0809 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you! I am going to try this way and see if I can get it to work better. LOVE your cake by the say! It's so cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%