Need Help W/ Pricing Orders

Decorating By kawing Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 6:54pm by ApplegumKitchen

kawing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kawing Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 3

Hey everyone! I'm about 2 weeks into starting my own lil at home business. I already have 4-5 orders from friends, and I'm baffled about pricing.

I've been keeping record of what I'm spending on baking (food) materials, per project. The totals come out to minimal at best. I know that I need to add in labor.. I guess that's where I'm getting stumped. Any tips would be very much appreciated!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 3

Well I think you should contact your local custom cake baker and find out how much they charge. Then you can adjust your price to reflect your knowledge and skill level.

But yes, you always want to add in money for labor, water, electricity, and everything else that goes into your overhead costs.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 3

It would help if you were to post an example of your pricing.... thats the only way somebody is going to be able to help you figure it out.

Like ..... This is my list of ingredients and this is what each cost me... this is additional costs and list them all out to SHOW how you get to the price you do, this is how long I anticipate this job will take . etc etc etc

If you follow the track of just asking what others charge and copying that - you will never KNOW for sure whether you are making money for yourself or not. Their costs could be LOTS lower than yours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%