Gelatin Over Fruit?

Lounge By cloetzu Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm by prterrell

cloetzu Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 9

I'd like to make a fruit flan but not sure what is used over the fruit - when ever I buy one it has a clear gelatin over the fruit to 'preserve it'. What is that and how is it made? It's not just clear Knox type gelatin is it?

8 replies
cloetzu Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 9


Does anyone know? Can any help?

JanH Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:02am
post #3 of 9

Yes, you can make a clear gelating:

As in this flower gelatin mold:


JanH Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:34am
post #5 of 9

Oh Boy. icon_confused.gif

I thought the OP wanted to make a second layer of fruited gelatin over custard flan, not a glaze for a fruit flan. icon_lol.gif

cloetzu Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:43am
post #6 of 9

yah - I want to make a glaze to pour over the top layer of fruit.

If Dr O is the only option then I may be out of luck. Haven't seen it at the local stores.

JanH Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:03am
post #7 of 9

You can heat up some apricot jam or preserves with water and brush that over the fruit (recipe and instructions follow):

Cornstarch glaze recipe:


cloetzu Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 9


prterrell Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 9

You can purchase the Dr. Oetker products online using the links above.

Many of the bakeries use a product called freeze 'n shine. It is basically sugar and gelatin. You could replicate this by mixing clear gelatin, sugar, and either boiling water, or boiling apple or white grape juice. About 1/2 tsp of gelatin to one cup of liquid should work. If you're using juice, you won't need much if any sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%