How Do I Make This Cake?

Decorating By halleyec Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 11:30am by lapazlady

halleyec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halleyec Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:55am
post #1 of 12

Can anyone please tell me how to make this cake.
I was planning on making 2 8" square cakes and stacking on top of each other (it needs to feed 50 people)

Just not sure how i do the top
Also wondering how much fondant i would need?

Thanks in advance
LL

11 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 12

that will be wedding servings for 64, sounds fine to me.

the satin ice website has a guide as to how much fondant to use, it is pretty good, but i do always add a bit on.

i would cover the cake as a big square. then worry about the top. get all your wire decorations sorted (lots of posts on how to do them if you arent sure). stick in a ball of something (fondant, gumpaste, styrofoam). wrap with fondant to get the look of the gathered material. (if possible, take a square of fondant, place the wire holders in the middle, then gather up). cover the join between the topper and main cake with the ribbon of the bow (also, lots of posts and arti les on making bows).

could also use lower pics/ straws for the wires, but thats also overed in the other posts on wired deorations.

the cake looks good tho, i hope it turns out well!

xx

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 12

The cake will work with 2 8" square, I did mine with 2 6"
the top is made by folding a piece of cardboard into a cone shape and then placing a stip of gumpaste/fondant nside, folding it the way you want. Let it dry completely. Mix some fondant and water until its soogy, use this to "glue" the top piece to the cake and hide the seam with the ribbon
A VERY easy cake!

HTH

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 12

That cake is a Lindy Smith cake. I know there are instructions in her book on how to make it. I'm just not sure which book it's in.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 12

Aww that is a very nice cake

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 12

Lindy Smith for sure. It's in her "Celebrate with a Cake!" Good book to buy. You might find it on her web site, too.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 12

That's it Lapazlady! Thanks!

lapazlady Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

That's it Lapazlady! Thanks!

Your welcome. Hope to get to see photos.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 12

I'm thinking the bow on top is to hide the join of the scrunched part of the bag and the actual cake. My guess on how to do it would be to make the top scrunched portion out of gumpaste and let it get dry and nice and hard, then literally join it to the fondant covered cake and put a pink fondant ribbon around the join to hide it. Then add your bow.

lapazlady Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I'm thinking the bow on top is to hide the join of the scrunched part of the bag and the actual cake. My guess on how to do it would be to make the top scrunched portion out of gumpaste and let it get dry and nice and hard, then literally join it to the fondant covered cake and put a pink fondant ribbon around the join to hide it. Then add your bow.

The neck of the bag is made as another unit and put on the cake. Yes, for sure, the bow is to hide the joint. Really looking forward to seeing the finish product.

halleyec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halleyec Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:23am
post #11 of 12

Thank you so much for your advice.

Will try and attach a pic of the final product if not it is in my pics.

Client was very happy with the final product

Thanks again

lapazlady Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:30am
post #12 of 12

The cake turned out perfectly. I'm sure the client was delighted. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%