Topics Of Interest To Event Planners?

Business By DecorateMe Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 8:08am by DecorateMe

DecorateMe Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:56am
post #1 of 15

Hi All,

I am putting together 2 monthly newsletters.
One will be to regular customers - recipes, tips, blog-type articles, etc
The other will be for event planners, caterers, etc, and will have articles on trends and how using us will help their business, etc.

I basically need ideas for articles. I was thinking along the lines of: New trends in the markets, Flavours that are popular now, popular colours, styles, etc.

Any other ideas?
Do you also know where I can find the information to research my articles?
They are really short pieces, so no extensive research needed, just something to send out once a month that's interesting for them to read.

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

14 replies
CakeForte Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 15

Reminders of how they do business with you. I've met some that feel like they can dictate my prices to me or business practices. As if they won't even refer me if I do a certain price, I don't even bother trying to market to those.

Or they feel that since they are a planner, they know every detail about every single wedding vendors business.

This is coming from someone that also was an event planner and I still own my company, so I'm not trying bad talk.

DecorateMe Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks - I can try incorporate that.

I really want to know how I can research things like "most popular flavours, designs. sizes, shapes of cakes, etc" and other trends in the cake market without making it up!

I have limited information & am trying to build my wedding clientele, so I want to have information from the US where the wedding cake market is much better - any ideas, anyone?

Thanks for your help!

DecorateMe Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 15

Also, CakesForte, as an event planner, what kind of articles would you have found interesting? How could a cake business have helped you to sell cakes to your customers?
Thanks!

DecorateMe Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 15

Does noone have any ideas?

These are the ones I've done so far:
http://community.icontact.com/p/sharonscakes/newsletters/corporate

I'm trying to think of a good topic for January...

Help?
Thanks!

costumeczar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 15

Bakery-net.com and modern-baking.com both have articles about trends, etc. You might be able to get ideas from them.

DecorateMe Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks, I'll have a look!

cakedout Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 15

Personally, I stalk "the Knot" thumbs_up.gif

Mensch Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 15

IMO, monthly newsletters are too often. Subscribers should look forward to the next newsletter, not feel as though they're being SPAMmed. Think this way, if you're having problems gathering info now, how is it going to feel when you have to do it every month, twice.

indydebi Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 15

Browsing the bridal forums on The Knot and on Wedding Wire will definitely give you ideas on what brides are encountering and what they are asking. I especially recommend Wedding Wire ... WW brides seem more grounded than Knot brides (and WW brides don't like the attitude of Knot brides any more than most vendors do!) icon_lol.gif

Personally, I think articles on "trends" and "most popular shapes/flavors" are BORRRRRRINNNNNNNG! Not only because everyone is already doing them, but also because I could care less what Wilton is trying to push as a "Trend" based on what their projected sales goals are on the newest shaped pan they've just put out.

As a bride, I'm not sure I want a cake that looks like everyone else's ..... what cool NEW idea have you come up with? What really NEAT thing can you do with a cake? Any theme ideas .... how can you do a fall theme that is different? For example, check out my blog where I showcase my new "slice of tree" cake stand. A unique and different look for any groom's cake or outdoor wedding cake.

For planner's, help them help their brides. Educate them on what a bride needs to knwo BEFORE talking to the cake lady. Educate htem on why fake cakes + sheet cakes are NOT cheaper.

You're welcome to browse my blog for add'l ideas.

CakeForte Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 12:09am
post #11 of 15

Sorry I just now saw your questions to me!

Reference your past history on popular items. People go on and on about how red velvet is popular in my region. I've sold ONE red velvet cake in 3 years. My top flavors are classic vanilla with some type of fruit filling or cookies and cream, toffee and caramel. Stuff like that.

Bride's like easy decision that make sense for their event needs. So I was able to combine packages and offer the planning and cake. Although it was one package....I keep both business pretty separate.

tashistation Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Browsing the bridal forums on The Knot and on Wedding Wire will definitely give you ideas on what brides are encountering and what they are asking. I especially recommend Wedding Wire ... WW brides seem more grounded than Knot brides (and WW brides don't like the attitude of Knot brides any more than most vendors do!) icon_lol.gif

Personally, I think articles on "trends" and "most popular shapes/flavors" are BORRRRRRINNNNNNNG! Not only because everyone is already doing them, but also because I could care less what Wilton is trying to push as a "Trend" based on what their projected sales goals are on the newest shaped pan they've just put out.

So true! If Wilton is saying something is a trend, you can pretty much be sure that it's not a trend anymore! By the time Wilton catches on to something it's already played out in the high end bridal magazines, blogs and websites.

And you're so right, they are always just peddling their latest plastic gadget or character pan...

personally, I read the knot boards religiously. Also, Martha Stewart has a good forum for weddings: http://boards.marthastewart.com/forums/843.

But the best places to go in my opinion are the wedding blogs. The girls who run those sites are posting a real wedding sometimes as often as every day. You will see beautiful ideas there. They are also covering things from magazines and trade shows.

DecorateMe Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks for the responses! For some reason I wasn't notified (eventhough I was before icon_razz.gif)

Mensch - the customers who subscribed knew they were getting a monthly newsletter, and I try to make it interesting. It is in place of a blog for now. I am not having trouble with ideas for that one!
As for the caterers, that I'm having more trouble with this as I'm not sure how to sell to them within a newsletter framework.

IndyDeb, I will look at your blog for ideas, thanks.

I'll also go check out the other sites for inspiration as I'm trying to type up the newsletter tonight .

Thanks again for the input icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecorateMe

As for the caterers, that I'm having more trouble with this as I'm not sure how to sell to them within a newsletter framework.

Think along the lines of "what's in it for them?"

Some examples of things I did in my newsletters.....

I did a Vendor Spotlight, talking about another wedding vendor (a candy store that did Candy Bars for weddings, a specialty popcorn company who could color match wedding colors for popcorn wedding favors, venues that were affordable, venues that were elegant, etc) and what they had to offer. Not only was this helpful to brides who were looking for something different, but the vendors thought I was awesome when I showcased their business, resulting in lots of referrals to me from these vendors.

One example of "what's in it for the caterer" might be a business or service you provide that they traditionally don't. For example, I hooked up with a local company that does coffee bars. He offers all kinds of expresso's, coffees, hot chocolates, teas, etc. That's all he does. As a caterer, I didnt' do that kind of stuff so when Macy's Dept store called me and wanted a dessert and coffee bar setup for a special style show they were doing, I called this coffee guy and subcontracted part of the job to him. He did a FABulous job and Macy's thought I was great for providing much more than they expected (even tho' technically I wasn't the one providing it).

Same with the shop that did the candy bars. I don't do those but I'm able to tell my brides, Sure! We can do that by partnering with a somone who does a bang up job on those!

SO if you have a service or cake product that the caterer would love referring to their brides, that's how you sell to us caterers. thumbs_up.gif

DecorateMe Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:08am
post #15 of 15

Thanks Debi, that's great advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%